Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Good Morning from CT,

I have read through most of the threads but can't answer my question. The last of three Jandy LED lights failed this year and looking to replace. I am interested in the J@J replacement option, partially to save a few bucks but mostly out of refusal use Jandy if possible. (realize all of these don't last as long as they should) Question I have is the controller. Are any plug and play with the exhisting Jandy electronics? (old school Aqualink RS setup with PDA controller that appear to have 4 options <<JANDY COLORS, JANDY LED LIGHT, SAM/SAL LIGHT, COLOR LOGIC>>

I don't really care if I can control the colors with the PDA like the old setup, but what would be the alternative. My understanding the transformer works regardless its just how to activate the light switching. Is it as simple as cycling the light power on and off via the PDA to cycle through the light colors...how do the Jandy lights 'communicate' with the controller?

Appreciate any insight.

J&J has been acquired by Hayward. So you would now be dealing with Hayward for the J&J lights.

If you get J&J lights that are Jandy compatible they should respond to the same ON/OFF clicks as Jandy lights.

Jandy lights do not communicate with the controller. The electronics in the light respond to the ON/OFF pulses with the changes in color.

thanks...so when the lights are 'cycling' those clicks I hear are simply a contactor openingm and closing to adjust the lights by powering on and off? That seems to make sense. (IE all the smartness are integrated into the lights...the 'controller' is just a fancy lightswitch?)

thanks...so when the lights are 'cycling' those clicks I hear are simply a contactor openingm and closing to adjust the lights by powering on and off?

Light relay is just turning ON/OFF the same as you clicking the light switch. Old school analog signaling.

IE all the smartness are integrated into the lights...the 'controller' is just a fancy lightswitch?)

Yes. And that is why the lights have poor reliability because the electronics is all stuffed into a small tube that lives underwater.

Very poor design that they are now stuck with because of the installed base of Aqualinks.

Only Hayward has tried to implement some networked digital communication between their Omni controllers and lights.

Reactions: Jontmiller
Edit to above...just pulled the existing lights they are Globrite not Jandy....assume it doesnt change the controller equation but any other issues brand wise for replacement?

Edit to above...just pulled the existing lights they are Globrite not Jandy....assume it doesnt change the controller equation but any other issues brand wise for replacement?

Not really. Pentair is trying to improve their lights. And Fluidra acquired CMP which has better LED lights then what Jandy had.

In 2024 Pentair released an improved GloBrite light that a blue gasket and black end cap (left side), with improvements to the electronics inside to fix the failures the lights have been having.

Pentair_Microbrite_New_2024_Design.png