nostaljake

Jul 9, 2023
Bethesda, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm installing a Jandy NeverLube three way valve (part #4715). Here are the installation instructions.

1. The instructions say "The internal valve assembly must be removed prior to gluing valve body to pipe fittings. Make certain no glue enters valve body beyond ports." Is it really necessary to take apart the assembly? I guess the idea is to remove any chance of glue getting stuck to the rotating mechanism inside. But it seems to me I'm way more likely to mess stuff up by uninstalling the whole mechanism and putting it back together. Seems like I can just leave it as is and be careful with the glue, no?

2. The instructions say "Be sure the word “INLET” on valve cover is over the incoming flow port." If we're thinking of the valve as a T, the INLET is at the bottom of the T. Is there a reason the water needs to flow in from the bottom of the T, rather than from the left or right side? Not a huge deal, but it will make my install a little tougher if the water has to flow in from the bottom of the T.

Jake,

How do you plan to fix it if you get glue where it should not be?? Even I can remove a few screws, remove the guts and put it all back together without any issues. Do it right, or don't do it at all... :mrgreen:

You can use any of the ports as the Inlet (or Outlet.) That is why they tell you to reassemble so that the word Inlet is at the Input (or output) pipe.

Another thing... Make sure that it is impossible to close off the Input (Output) pipe when the valve is moved.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: nostaljake
Just want to make sure I'm on the right track with my new Jandy valve to replace two ball valves.

Current setup is/was two lines, each with a ball valve-one from the skimmer and one from the main drain. They met at a T and the other end went to the pump.

The cap of the Jandy valve has one direction marked "INLET." Looking at that, it is almost as if the valve is intended to direct water from one inlet to the valve, to two outlets.

However, I think if I'm understanding things I've read on the forums just now, it seems that it is actually intended (at least in this application) that "INLET" is supposed to point to the "INLET" of the PUMP.

Is that correct?

However, I think if I'm understanding things I've read on the forums just now, it seems that it is actually intended (at least in this application) that "INLET" is supposed to point to the "INLET" of the PUMP.
Inlet is the marker on the valve that indicates the direction of flow that the water enters the valve from. The specific port on the valve body doesn’t matter. Disassemble the valve and glue the body up, then reassemble the valve with “Inlet” on the side of the valve the water enters from.

Inlet is the marker on the valve that indicates the direction of flow that the water enters the valve from. The specific port on the valve body doesn’t matter. Disassemble the valve and glue the body up, then reassemble the valve with “Inlet” on the side of the valve the water enters from.
I was advised to buy this dang valve to combine my two "inlets" into one outlet!

Is there a different version that has two inlets and one outlet? I will note that the "INLET" side of the valve is the one that is set up so that it is difficult to block it completely.

I was advised to buy this dang valve to combine my two "inlets" into one outlet!

Is there a different version that has two inlets and one outlet? I will note that the "INLET" side of the valve is the one that is set up so that it is difficult to block it completely.
No….in this circumstance you would face the inlet marker towards the inlet of the pump. However I would suggest dumping the 3 way and using 2 single port valves, 1 for the skimmer and the other for the main drain. You will have more precise control over each input to the pump in addition to other benefits come winterization.