OKLAHOMA CITY / OK
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I have an 8-9 year old pump that seemed to have got louder over the weekend.

We had quite a few leaves blow into the pool over the night this weekend and the skimmers were pretty full allowing ail to get by.

Can I have this pumped "refreshed" by someone, or would I have to purchase a new pump?

I don't have automation or anything fancy. The pump when it's working seems to have a louder or higher pitch.

You should check the impeller in the pump for clogs.

You may be able to reach into the pump with the basket out and touch the impeller or you may need to disassemble the pump.

The louder sound may also be a bearing that is going bad. Bearings can be replaced by a rebuild shop or if you have the right tools. There are YouTube videos showing pump bearing replacement.

Reactions: jeremycrook
There could be some debris in the impeller. With the system switched off at the breaker, you can remove the pump basket and ensure the impeller is clear.
There could be a bad bearing on the motor shaft which can be repaired at a small engine shop if you are not handy. Look at YouTube for guidance.

You have 2 choices if the repair does not work - purchase a new motor for it or replace the whole pump with a newer variable speed pump. Since you have a saltwater system, you would find that you could save on energy costs by using a VS pump vs. a single speed pump. You would run the VS pump at a lower speed that would still generate chlorine.

How do you control pump time now? Is it on a mechanical timer or an on/off switch? Maybe post a picture of the pump and the equipment pad set up.

Reactions: jeremycrook
10-4! I will pull that basket and see if I can reach and find something. I will report back what I find.

I do like the idea of VS pump, however my pool does run on a mechanical timer and didn't know if I could run a VS pump or not?

Alright! Thank you for the assistance, I was luckily able to get the tip of my finger back to the impeller and was able to get some trash leaves out of the back. It was a slow go, but with two bloodied knuckles, and cold fingers, the pump is happier, and my wallet is too!

We have a neighbor that has a Mulberry tree and the leaves decided to all fall this weekend. The leaves are smaller, and somehow made it by the strainer.

Examine the basket in your pump for any breaks. The basket should have kept debris from getting into the impeller.

Examine the basket in your pump for any breaks. The basket should have kept debris from getting into the impeller.
Agree, that is funny you said that because one of my skimmer baskets side burst, and must have been one of entry ways. I may also have been at fault for not getting 100% of the debris out of the bottom of the pump basket when I clean it out.

Yup, you should have two barriers to preventing debris from getting into the pump impeller - the skimmer basket and the pump basket. Both should be in good condition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.