Jacuzzi, Beach Comber, Arctic Spa ...... So many options

Easto

Jun 27, 2010
My wife and I want a hot tub. She's maybe a 5/10 and I am a 10/10 on the desire to have a hot tub scale :D .

Today I managed to get her into the Jacuzzi store on our way home from the gym. We narrowed down the Jacuzzi tubs to the J-385 and the J-470 in terms of tubs she would possibly be interested in. It's a ~$20,000 investment so no decision was made today. More research is needed.

We also have a Beach Comber store, California Spa, Arctic Spa, BullFrog, and I am sure the list goes on. Most pool places also carry a line of hot tubs.

I live in London, Ontario - I think a google search could quickly show what we have access to here.

What are brands to avoid?

Are these ones listed above all good hot tubs?

Is there any specific questions I should ask the dealers?

Any other suggestions you have for us?

**Edit** One of the pool places here sells HotSprings.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd look for a spa with an integrated salt water chlorine generator.

Or I'd try to buy from someone who would be willing to install one on an exiting product that they're familiar with the components (heater).

I looked up both the models mentioned, and they both come with a UV system that I'd have no interest in what-so-ever.

I'm not even sure that such a unit (with integrated SWG) is even available.

There are so many options that it makes it tough to sort out what you want/need. Product reliability, efficiency, warranty.... the list goes on.

Every sales person says their product is the best so I try and rely on unbiased customer feedback which is sometimes tough to do as well.

I just bought a Jacuzzi. J-345 from the Vaughan Ontario store. Hot tub is amazing. Heats up and maintains the heat very well. One thing I have learned is to keep the tub around 98 when not using it. The tub will consume a lot less chlorine then it did when i maintained at 100. I was finding myself adding chlorine in the morning, and after using the tub in the evening. Now I only add after using the tub.

No we didnt go with the Jacuzzi for life Promo. From what we were told, you pay full price on the tub, no discounts offered. Requirement to have a "tub service" perform water tests and treatment as well as a requirement to buy their chemicals and only use them. Whether this is true or not, I was not interested and did not want to hear anything else about the program.

For a new tub every X amount years for free, you have to realize that Jacuzzi is making more money off of you somewhere else in the long run.

We got a very good deal on the J-345. We also received for free an upgraded cover and special lifter due to our hot tub location, upgraded spa steps with LED lights, and 2 bottles of Ahh-some

We got a Beachcomber this fall....and really like it. Bought one that was 3 years old for a fraction of new. (People were moving and neededit gone) Had it delivered and set in place. Chose the 578 model because it has a seat where you sit half out of the water. One of the family gets too hot in tubs after awhile and loves that seat. I am quite tall and found the deep seat in the corner was just right for me. Lots of beachcomber stores with parts etc nearby ( i am about 45 minutes from London) Have not had alot of experience with the tub yet, but I liked this model and Beachcomber seems to have a good reputation. i also like the fact that the pumps are outside the tub....easy to access if required and provides a nice insulation envelope for the tub.

Best of luck with your decision!!!

I got mine for free from my in-laws. It's a 1997 Jacuzzi spa. I've put about $1,500 into so far, since 2013. Heats the water, blows from the jets, air blower works great, lights work, seats six, fiberglass has always been covered and is in great condition, can't ask for more from a 20yo spa with minimal costs. They're so easy to work on, I can't see the point spending $7k-$20k on something that won't do much more than mine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got mine for free from my in-laws. It's a 1997 Jacuzzi spa. I've put about $1,500 into so far, since 2013. Heats the water, blows from the jets, air blower works great, lights work, seats six, fiberglass has always been covered and is in great condition, can't ask for more from a 20yo spa with minimal costs. They're so easy to work on, I can't see the point spending $7k-$20k on something that won't do much more than mine.

I totally agree with this. We bought a Bullfrog in 2015 and absolutely love it. We were able to "wet test" several different brands in the store. Honestly, had I only tried the first cheaper one I'm sure I would have been happy. The jet packs sold us on the Bullfrog though. One in particular felt like my massage therapist was working on my back!

My regret is the price tag. It's just crazy what they cost. Knowing what I know now about Ahhsome and how to deep clean it I wouldn't be a bit scared of searching out a good deal on a used tub.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.