Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi all,

I did the Jack's Magic "O2 Safe Shock & Stain Solution #2 Treatment." In the instructions, it says that the treatment can produce false FC readings for 3-4 weeks and that I should use the TC readings during that time. I'm fine with this, but want to make sure I'm doing this right...

When I do the TF-100's chlorine drop test, I'm not seeing any color change when adding the R-0870 powder (and I know there's chlorine in the water, as I added bleach) - I'm assuming that's the false FC reading they're warning about, so I get that. Because there's no color change, I don't bother adding the R-0871. I then test for CC and add the R-0003 as I should, and the water does turn pink. The water seems to never turn 100% back to clear after I add R-0871. It gets to a point where it looks clear when it's swirling, but when I stop swirling there's the littlest bit of pink there. Does that make sense? I know one might say I didn't add enough R-0871, but I really am adding a lot (at least enough to test if the TC was over 20 and (unless the Jack's treatment adds that much TC) I didn't think the TC level should be that high, especially since it's been a week since I did the treatment.

Am I misunderstanding any of this?

Once you see the clear when swirling, call it good.

Really not sure using that stuff is worth the hassle.

Hi all. It's been 7 weeks since I did this treatment and I'm still getting false FC readings. I'm also having issues with algae. I've been shocking for almost a week (following the recommended yellow mustard algae levels), but I'm still getting some staining each day. Nothing crazy, but still some spots here and there, despite the continued shocking and brushing.

I contacted Jack's Magic and they advised that 7 weeks is longer than expected, but it's because the nitrogen levels are still elevated (I didn't realize that's what was causing this) and that I should just continue going based off of TC instead of FC until it gets to normal.

I'm wondering how high the nitrogen levels are in the water. Is there a particular test kit anyone would recommend to check this? I'm worried that this is going to take up the whole summer and I'm starting to regret not fully draining and refilling instead of doing this treatment.

You realize that is just for 24 hours right? Then an elevated FC target level for an extended time.

Yes...I just had it at that level over the past day (but have been shocking for about a week overall)...I didn't explain that clearly - thanks for checking!

I reached back out to Jack's Magic and they said I just have to wait for the nitrogen to go down naturally, and they don't have a recommended way to measure it. I was hoping to at least get an idea of how high the levels are so that I can decide if I want to drain the pool and refill. I reached out to Taylor test kits and they said they don't have a test for it.

Meanwhile, I'm continuing to SLAM (not at the yellow mustard level) and am still having a bit of algae on the walls each day...nothing crazy...but not going away.

Any advice? Does adding algaecide make any sense to try? (since I have been SLAMing for a week straight already)

In case this helps, my water measurements are:

FC: 0.5
CC: 14.5
CYA = 35 (I keep it lower than recommended because I have an IntelliChem)
TA = 80
CH = 375
pH = 7.4

I'm assuming the FC and CC measurements looking so out of whack are because of the nitrogen levels that the Jack's Magic caused.

I used Jacks magic copper and scale stuff on Jun 18th and I am also have an issue with FC as of today. Still no FC readings after 5 weeks. Did your reading ever return?

Also I am getting some staining on my pool, that I initially thought was yellow algae, but it turns out to be something else (either pollen) or just some of the same staining from before. Are you sure you had yellow algae?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I used Jacks magic copper and scale stuff on Jun 18th and I am also have an issue with FC as of today. Still no FC readings after 5 weeks. Did your reading ever return?

Also I am getting some staining on my pool, that I initially thought was yellow algae, but it turns out to be something else (either pollen) or just some of the same staining from before. Are you sure you had yellow algae?

Nope. I'm at 11 weeks and I'm still not getting normal FC readings. I last reached out to Jack's Magic a couple of weeks ago and they said I should keep waiting. They sort of had an attitude and asked why I even care about not getting FC readings and that getting the TC should be good enough. Great customer service :rolleyes:

They only recommendation they had (other than waiting longer) was that I could do a O2 safe shock treatment, as that could (not guaranteed) expedite the gassing off of N2. I don't feel great paying them more money for a treatment to fix the initial treatment. I'm getting to a point where I'm considering dumping all or maybe half of the water in the pool just to start off fresh.

As far as the yellow algae goes, I could be wrong. There was a yellow color to it, and it took a high SLAM level to get rid of it. Meanwhile, I still keep getting algae more often than ever before. I didn't get it for years but now I'm getting it 2 or 3 times a month.

Nope. I'm at 11 weeks and I'm still not getting normal FC readings. I last reached out to Jack's Magic a couple of weeks ago and they said I should keep waiting. They sort of had an attitude and asked why I even care about not getting FC readings and that getting the TC should be good enough. Great customer service :rolleyes:

They only recommendation they had (other than waiting longer) was that I could do a O2 safe shock treatment, as that could (not guaranteed) expedite the gassing off of N2. I don't feel great paying them more money for a treatment to fix the initial treatment. I'm getting to a point where I'm considering dumping all or maybe half of the water in the pool just to start off fresh.

As far as the yellow algae goes, I could be wrong. There was a yellow color to it, and it took a high SLAM level to get rid of it. Meanwhile, I still keep getting algae more often than ever before. I didn't get it for years but now I'm getting it 2 or 3 times a month.
I am at 69 days now and also no FC reading. My water looks clear. Once in awhile I see a yellow powdery substance that easily comes up after vacuuming. I think yellow algae would not come up so easily. What does your yellow algae look like? Regarding the chlorine how are you measuring it? I use the R-0870 which shows no free chlorine. Then I add R-0003 followed by drops of R-0871. The funny thing is that the color goes away after adding the initial drops but then returns if I keep spinning it. Then I add more drops to clear and it returns again. Finally after repeating several times the color may stay clear. Do you experience that as well? If so which do you take as the reading?

The funny thing is that the color goes away after adding the initial drops but then returns if I keep spinning it.
From Pool School:
If left sitting on the counter, the sample will turn pink again one or two minutes after the test is completed. This is normal.

Once the test sample is clear, that is the result. Discard the test sample.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.