It’s open! It’s green! Looking for help! TEST RESULTS ADDED!

For clear water, you can move onto OCLTs.

Where are we with the CYA ? Is it registering yet ? You lost a bunch of FC today which could be the CYA still dissolving/ mixing. Or there is still stuff being killed.

P.S. that was a terrific effort today !!!! You're only helping yourself when it's over that much sooner. (y)
So I haven’t tested CYA yet. The socks were still in. It’s all in now but I know it takes a while to mix and show up on a test. I probably should have before I left but forgot. It was very sunny today so it would have been a good day. I mean my water has been clear since day 1. I guess I’m in for 6 am wake ups for a while.

ok this is how today went:
6:30 am 9.5 - added back up to 12
8:30 am 10.5 - added back up to 12
9:50 am 14
11:00 am 12.5
12:30 pm 10 -added back up to 12
2:56 pm 12.5
4:00 pm 13 (ok something was wrong here or at 2:56 but it's close)

so I have to leave for a few hours so I added 22 oz (the rest of my 3rd gallon in total so far) so it doesn't get below 12 while I'm gone. here's a photo from around 1 pm. based on this should I do OCLT tonight?
View attachment 567546
If you find you are consistently overshooting the target with your additions, try taking 1000 gallons off the pool volume in Poolmath. In my 18x36 pool, 1 inch of water works out to 400+ gallons...

Reactions: Newdude
If you find you are consistently overshooting the target with your additions, try taking 1000 gallons off the pool volume in Poolmath. In my 18x36 pool, 1 inch of water works out to 400+ gallons...
Well I haven’t been testing after I add but I probably should.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A fail is a fail, don't even waste the thought about how close it was. We're at an age where every single thought matters. :ROFLMAO:

Personally I'd rather it be no question either way, than on the fence with a borderline pass. Full steam ahead !!!

Now I think I messed up. I added 11 oz of chlorine to increase to 12 ish. I just tested and got 13.5. my pool is not 5,000 gallons. so 11 oz shouldn't have increased that much. I did test after adding last night and got potentially it's 11,000 gallons. I mean definitely still failed, but probably not that much. also I still have some of this, I can't brush it off. I'm going to have to scrub but it's soo hard from the outside of the pool and the water is SO cold. I might need to see if my husband will cold plunge and try. but look how clear that water is. water that apparently has algae. I'd like to turn the heater on as Sunday we are supposed to hit 81 degrees and my kids are dying to get in. but heating the pool I'm sure can't be recommended during a SLAM and I recently read I shouldn't use the heater below like a certain temp? If so I probably can't turn it on til June. lol. but if i can heat it, I could get in and scrub this stuff off.

IMG_5104.jpeg

Last edited:
the more I think about it, this is not normal algae, it's not green, nor slimy, it honestly is like really hard bird poop. It can't be, the pool was covered. what is this??

Two hour tests/doses are plenty. Yours is holding well at 2 hours, so you could probably even go to 3 hours without loosing efficiency.

We worry about the folks losing many FC in a couple hours and going 8 hours between doses on top of it. Those take much longer to complete.

this is how my day has gone:
6:30 am 11.5
8:00 13.5
10:20 (this is when I started cleaning the vial with alcohol) 13
1:00 9.5
3:30 10.5
5:30 10

Reactions: Newdude
well I didn't do the OCLT last night since I was losing so much chlorine throughout the day.I dumped some extra in to make it all night, this morning at 7:00 am it was 15.5 and then now at 10 it's 15. it's rainy and cloudy. no sun. maybe I should have done the test? has the full sun the past 2 days been burning my chlorine? My CYA is 30. I'll do it tonight if this continues.

Keep the pump running and test during the day to keep FC at SLAM level.
Brush/vacuum as needed. Clean around skimmer, skimmer weir door, lights, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support