It's just the beginning

Oliviagn

Dec 28, 2022
Valley Stream, New York
I have a choice between two contractors. One has business location, trucks, and prominent in the pool business. In business 9 years. The other is a guy who does not appear to have an office or showroom. Each did a pool and backyard makeover for my friends and both jobs appear beautiful. the established contractor would charge significantly more-- Pool 60k, entire job $143k. The no showroom guy would charge about $95k. Big difference. I know the materials may not be the same. Waiting to hear back from the no-office guy on warranties. Established contractor gives me comfort but I feel he is over-chargng (did my friend's yard with much larger pool for $100k last fall and days I have 600 sq feet more pavers). Anyone have thoughts on whether i would be foolish to go with the guy who has no office? I am also waiting for two references from the no-office guy. (I could re-do a bathroom in the house with the price difference and have to do that project very soon.) (Had a third quote but the guy would only quote the pool at 52k and said we'll talk about the rest later -- not what I asked for.) Pool size is 14x28. 1600 sq feet of pavers. Need words of wisdom here.

Welcome to TFP.

Most important is payment terms. Don’t give large deposits. Don’t let the payments get ahead of completed work. Progress payments as actual work is completed. Have all equipment and materials delivered to your site, you take possession, and you pay upon delivery.

Builder gets his profit at the end of a successful build. You don’t want the builder living on your deposit.

Consider every day where you will stand if you never see the builder again.

Last edited:
No showroom/office, alone, would not deter me. My PB was wonderful and had neither. However, they had 100% 5 star reviews on google (over 70 reviews) and they were recommended many times in community FB groups.

What’s the online presence of the no-office? What recent reviews do they have? If they are non-existent, I would stay away, personally. Your risk tolerance may differ from mine.

Welcome to TFP.

Most important is payment terms. Don’t give large deposits. Don’t let the payments get ahead of completed work. Progress payments as actual work is completed. Have all equipment and materials delivered to your site, you take possession, and you pay upon delivery.

Builder gets his profit at the end of a successful build. You don’t want the builder living on your deposit.

Consider every day where you will stand if you never see the builder again.
Great advice and really appreciate it. The less expensive guy wanted $50k up front which was a real concern.

No showroom/office, alone, would not deter me. My PB was wonderful and had neither. However, they had 100% 5 star reviews on google (over 70 reviews) and they were recommended many times in community FB groups.

What’s the online presence of the no-office? What recent reviews do they have? If they are non-existent, I would stay away, personally. Your risk tolerance may differ from mine.
Agreed. No on line presence. He did my friend's pool but the risks were bothering me. Going with the more expensive guy to avoid headaches. Much more professional and in business 9 years. Always on line with great reviews.

Great advice and really appreciate it. The less expensive guy wanted $50k up front which was a real concern.

50% of the total build upfront is a red flag.

For comparison I paid about 10% at contract signing but that covered permits and I had all equipment delivered to the house a week or two later. The next incremental didn't come until they were in my driveway with the excavator and dump trucks.

I would worry that this builder is using your money to finance other projects. No reason for such a large percentage up front.

Going with the more expensive guy to avoid headaches.
🙋‍♂️ We've seen this one go south as many times as it's payed off.

There's no right or wrong answer and they will both have +/- before and during the build. All you can hope for is that you chose the right one to navigate the speed bumps that happen.

I would suggest going online to your state’s contractor license board. From that website you should/would be able to: One, confirm both licenses are valid from your prospective PBs. Two, find documentation from the license board that specifies deposit amounts. In California and Nevada, where I have contracted for projects, it was spelled out that deposit amounts would be 10% of bid or $1,000 whichever is less.

Now, during my owner build pool project every sub I contracted with was paid after the satisfactory completion of their task. So a deposit amount was not discussed.

Each did a pool and backyard makeover for my friends and both jobs appear beautiful. the established contractor would charge significantly more-- Pool 60k, entire job $143k. The no showroom guy would charge about $95k. Big difference.
Ask your friends about communication. Did both PB’s have a project manger? Did they communicate effectively when there was an issue? Note-there will always be some issue during a major construction project. How were they resolved? Quickly? Was there a lot of debate?
The payment terms are absolutely critical - especially for the PB that appears to be new and trying to build a business. Is the $50k up front really funding his cash flow And living expenses? You should always have 10% of the total bill held to AFTER the job is completed To your satisfaction.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.