It turned green on me!

OK so CYA is zero...you should add 2lbs of stabilizer/cya today. Put it in a old sock and hang it in front of your return and let it disolve. This will help your chlorine from burning off too quickly. With CC of 2, you definately have to continue shocking :goodjob:

Hey pool newbie.... thats me to!
I did add 1.5 gallons of bleach yesterday. The pump is now on and will run till I can get some results, like no algea in the pool.
Pool calculator says I need to add acid to decrease my TA, add calcium chloride to raise my CH and add stabilizer to raise my CYA. So heres the newbie in me.
Should I run to the pool store and buy everything right now or let the pump and filer work for a better part of the day and then retest?
I plan on adding bleach throughtout the day, a little at a time in hopes that I can get this back under control. I might pull all of my hair out before I figure it all out but my better half wants clean water to swim in or she threatens to run the pool over with my Jeep. I hid the keys from her LOL.

FPM is right :goodjob:

shocking is about adding chlorine fast and hard and keep adding it as frequently as possible to keep it at "shock level" Other than the CYA aka stabilizer, you do not need anything from the pool store. Muratic acid can be purchased at your local hw store in the paint aisle. TA can be adjusted later...CH is not a concern for you since you have a vinyl pool....just keep you PH between 7.2 and 7.8. Note...don;t bother testing PH when FC is above 10ppm...high FC causes PH to read falsely high.

ok, read the thread... TA can def wait. Also - make sure when you do test the TA, that you wipe the tip of the R-0009 dropper bottle with a damp cloth, in between each drop. Static can build up on that reagent bottle and can cause the test results to be higher than they actually are. So keep that in mind the next time you test it.

So CYA, and maintain shock, run filter 24/7. Re-read the Defeating Algae links you were given, keep following the instructions for shocking. :)

I got back from Wlamart a little bit ago and have the stabilizer in and more bleach added, the pump is running and will continue to run until everything is back to normal. Thanks for your help so far and I keep my fingers crossed.

Now you are on track. Are you brushing the pool bottom and sides to stir up any solid stuff in the pool? Is your filter psi still normal?

Keep that chlorine up and your pool will clear. :lol: :lol:

Yes I am still brushing the pool bottom and walls. PSI is normal right now. I am going to have to backwash soon, it keeps raining here and the water is at the top of the skimmer. It looks like a little time and alot of waiting right now but hopefully by this weekend it will be ready for my wife to go back to swimming.

Another quick question. How often(time wise) should I test my pool while doing this shocking? I put stablizer and more bleach in at about 10:30 this morning. I just went out and brushed the pool again and alot of the stuff on the bottom is falling apart. I might try for a vacuum job this evening if that soulnds like the thing to do. There is a lot of stuff settling to the bottom right now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok just back in from the sweat box.... 2:00pm results, this morning I added 1 gallon of bleach and 2 lbs. of stabilzer

AM PM
FC 8 6.5
CC 2 0
TC 10 6.5
pH 7.5 8.2
T/A 180 150
CH 120 120
CYA 40
TEMP 82 89

MORE BLEACH????

Test for FC twice daily and replenish FC back up to shock value.
So, Tim, your FC should be up around 16ppm.

I don't want to re-read your thread so have you read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School? It sorta' sounds like you have not. It's required if you want to do this right.

Suggestion.....get a plastic or paper cup and scoop up a water sample from your pool. take that cup inside and perform your tests at the kitchen table. It's better for your kit to keep it inside and it gives you the opportunity to have a cool one while you are doing your mad scientist routine.

How confident are you in the CYA result? If you are, you are not at shock level yet...shock level is somewhere around 16ppm...I'm just struggling with how your CYA went from 0 to 40 if you just added it today :scratch: It usually takes 5-7 days for CYA to show up in the turbidity test. FC of 8 and 6.5 is too low, if you are trying to shock.

edit...Dave beat me to it, but I think we are on the same page :goodjob:

Yes I have read how to shock your pool more than once. I have asked for some help here and followed what I was told to do. I have no idea how long results take to show up. I have added 3.5 gallons of 6% bleach and 2.5 lbs of sanitizer since yesterday and followed the directions on th TF-100 to the letter. I did the last test in the house because it is 99 degrees outside. I guess its time to go back to scholl and read again or let the wife run the Jeep over the pool. ALL I CAN DO IS READ AND FOLLOW YOUR DIRECTIONS AND GUIDANCE AND THIS IS WHAT i HAVE DONE. Sorry you dont believe the numbers but that what the test kit gave me.

I did vacuum the pool. I re-read Shock your pool again, I have checked all the charts. I have most of Pool School printed and in a binder. I guess I can run to Walmart again and try 3 or 4 more gallons of bleach. The algea is breaking up but I cannot get to the recommended levels. My test kit shows an increase of 40 for CYA since this morning, and I have no idea why and a decrease in FC and CC but I have added 2 gallons of bleach today.

So here goes I am totally lost in algea and dont know what to do. I have been in this pool three time in the last two years so I need help. All I do is pay and try to maintain it and it looks like I have lost this battle.

tim1 said:
...and I have no idea why and a decrease in FC and CC but I have added 2 gallons of bleach today.
It is being consumed by the algae. This is why you have to keep testing and adding. As ofter as once per hour at the beginning of the shock process.

tim1 said:
So here goes I am totally lost in algea and dont know what to do. I have been in this pool three time in the last two years so I need help. All I do is pay and try to maintain it and it looks like I have lost this battle.
Keep shocking. This means test and add enough chlorine to get back to your shock level as ofter as once per hour.

I do keep testing. I am going back to the store and get more bleach and pour it in. I have not gotten to the required shock level as of yet. I just keep adding and adding. I also dont understand how long it should take to get my CYA up or to move at all but the test kit shows it went up from 0 to 40 today. It seems like my testing skills are being questioned. You put a little water in the bottle and add drops, thats not that hard to do. It was much harder being in the military and receiving the enemy fire that has left me totally disabled. Having my mental capabilities questioned about doing a simple test hurts a lot worse then some of the things I have seen in my military career. I really dont wnat to have to go it alone trying to get my pool back together but it might come to that. PUMP DRY AND START ALL OVER, or let wifey drive through it. that would really hurt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.