It is green but circulating and...

Just an FYI, your sand can go a LONG time without ever needing to be changed. Consider it a "permanent" item. If the pool store tells you it has to be changed, just shake your head and ignore them.

are you brushing your pool daily and are you scrubbing around ladders steps lights all those places algae likes to hide? Also you can add a little d.e to your sand filter via the skimmer to maybe speed up the clearing process.mix 1 cup if d.e in a bucket of water and slowly pour it into the skimmer until you see a pressure rise of 1 psi

fishcrazy said:
I got a TFT test kit. Just replenished the chemicals. I did retest the water. FC-18, CC=4, CYA=52 and ph=18. So something is happening now. Still looks the same though.

Just to make sure I'm following this:
You used the FAS-DPD Chlorine test in the kit - correct? The directions for which are located here. If the 10ml size sample was used it means you added your R-0870 powder, the sample turned pink/red, you then added 36 drops of R-0871 while swirling and the solution turned clear. Then you added five drops of R-0003 and it turned pink again, at which time you again added R-0871 one drop at a time while swirling and it took 8 - correct?

When I first uncovered the pool it had a greencoating on the bottom of the pool that when we vaccumed or scrubed it came right off but soon it clouded the water so much we cold no longer see the bottom of the pool to vac it. We were scrubing it blindly till we both got sick.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
fishcrazy said:
UnderWaterVanya that is correct

OK I just wanted to be sure - a few people have mixed up the drops and gotten confused their first time out of the gate with testing. 4CC's is a bunch but not unreasonable. Keep posting results as you take periodic measurements and let us help you. High CC's are not always seen with algae - it can also indicate the presence of ammonia - but the prescription is the same for both - use the shock process.

Eventually the pool will likley turn cloudy and white (dead algae) and then slowly clear.

Keep up the good work. Brushing is important but if you have to skip it for a few days because you are sick - just try to keep the FC levels up and brush when you can later.

Just an update to the pool situation. As I mentioned I have been sick and I discovered I had a bacterial infection in my throat. That was the worst sore throat I ever had! Finally getting better from that after the antibiotics are kicking in. I wasted days trying to nurse myself through what I was thinking was just a cold. Anywho Im still working on the pool water and it is still very stubbornly green. Im keeping it at shock level of 22 FC and brushing it when able to do so. Seems like I am just treading water. Im beginning to think that my sand filter has a problem that I need to address. It doesnt seem to be filtering anything. It just seems to me that if it was after a week or more of continuous filtering there should be some improvement. Any thoughts?

Hi Dave. The psi is rising but not so dramatically. It is hard to tell due to the fact the guage is stuck on the low side at 30 psi. So I am not sure exactly what the pressure is. I just judge it from how forceful the return flow is. It does get stoped up every 2-3 days or so and I backwash it. I am finding a pattern to the madness though. It seems to loose about 3-4 PPM FC each day. and I just add a 84 oz bottle of 8.25% to it daily. The CC is negligable at <0.5. My water looks green. I cant see the bottom it is so murky. I honestly do not see any progress in the water since I have started this shock process.

I have a theory on this but it may just be folly. At any rate here it is. My skimmer and return line are very close together. So close in fact that I have a problem with the skimmer not sucking in the debris as it flows by because it cannot overcome the force of the current created by the return line just off to the side of it by about a foot. It just seems way too close to me preventing good turnover of water in the pool. I am thinking of putting some type of extension on the return to move it away from the skimmer a bit more to see if that helps with the turnover.

fishcrazy said:
The psi is rising but not so dramatically. It is hard to tell due to the fact the guage is stuck on the low side at 30 psi. So I am not sure exactly what the pressure is.
Replace that guage asap! You need to know when to backflush. It is hard on the pump to let the flow go close to zero. We recommend backwashing when the pressure goes up 25% from clean pressure. You have no way of knowing when this is, and from the sounds of it, your filter is filtering out a lot of junk.

I do plan to replace the guage but it does provide some utility in its current condition as it does indicate a rise in pressure even though it is the incorrect pressure. I can more accurately tell that the filter needs backwashed just by feeling the pressure of the flow at the return with my hand. That tells me whether I need to backwash it or not. I am not neglecting the pool to the extent that I let the pump run under the condition that the filter is totally stoped up. I am being attentive to the conditions. If I am filtering out a bunch of junk as you say then what is the evidence of that? It certainly is not visual as I still cant see the bottom of the pool after 12 days of running the filter at shock level. Isnt there anything else that can be done here. I dont want to be still running the pump at shock level in august still going under the guise that if I keep on doing the same thing it will just decide to clear up at some point. It seems to me that whatever is in the pool should be dead by now! Why is it not clearing up?

I totally agree that the guage needs replaced. I fully intend to do so. Until I can do so though I am unfortunately relegated to backwashing the pool as soon as there is evidence of diminished flow which I am able to detect from an inspection of the flow at the return. I am not letting the pump run under cloged up filter conditions.

I just dont see any evidence that the water is getting any better. Is this normal?

No, if the algae is all dead and the filter is working you should see a visible improvement in the water quality each day. It might be a small improvement, but it should be something. Watch for improvement in clarity around stairs or ladders, it won't always be visible mid-pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.