mommahocker

Apr 8, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
*Warning* You might grab a snack. This is a chaotic post, but I really would like some feedback. Please and Thank you.

Pool has been increasingly hazy (now cloudy) since the weekend.

SUNDAY-MONDAY:
testing water seemed futile, as I had to order new R-0870
But went ahead and started adding a bit more chlorine than usual, knowing I need to do a SLAM as soon as I get solid numbers.
Cleaned filter (150sq ft cartridge)
bleached and scrub-brushed all the things (return, skimmer port, ladder as good as could)
injected bleach into ladder holes
brush/vacuum x2, only to come back to the muck on the pool floor when pump quit running it's cycle.

TODAY: *several issues have stacked*
Turned pump back on (it runs a timed night cycle) added a gallon of chlorine. Brush.
Remember there are weights behind the ladder, say to self I should prolly check THOSE for algae.
Notice the pool needs water, add hose, promptly forget. Now water level is almost 2 inched OVER NORMAL. *like* OVER the skimmer port.
Realized my Chlorine was possibly degrading (manufactured in Jan22, hot garage storage) but used anyway, used poolMath doses for 10% when the actual % was prolly less.
FINALLY, my Walmart had the chlorinating liquid back in stock, picked up new jugs, manufactured June 29. *yeah baby*
Check mail, regents are here! Finally get some base numbers to start the SLAM. Get them added to poolmath, dose pool with *last 2* OLD jugs of chlorine.
Set timer for 40 minutes, go grab a water sample using the same stuff I always use (stainless steel ladle for deep water, and old measuring cup for pool use only.)
First test is 14ppm, 6 ppm from my SLAM levels. (figured it was the old chlorine)
Added the appropriate amount to reach my SLAM level.
Set time for 40, test again. BONKERS READING! 37.5ppm when I needed it to be 20. Got this TWICE. *What-the-actual...?!*
Go get another sample, READS 14. AGAIN. Go another round with the same water sample. 15.
*I had to walk away*
So here are my thoughts:
It's hot and sunny, chlorine really burning off that fast??
That Bonkers reading caused by chlorine not rinsed from measuring cup?
Is my water circulating enough, being so full?

Just ran numbers again (1.5hrs later). 11.5ppm

Need guidance. PLEASE.

Signed,
Flabbergasted

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.