Issues with Spa losing water

create6743

Sep 3, 2023
NY
Deal all, could anyone provide some advice on my issues? Would be much appreciated. When pump is off my water level in spa drops to the jets/ slightly below pool level. Pool does not seem to leak, but when I turn on the pump it needs to add a lot of water to compensate for the water slot in spa.

Bucket test on pool did not show anything, so it must be spa or pump side.

Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_3460.jpeg
    IMG_3460.jpeg
    638.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3459.jpeg
    IMG_3459.jpeg
    726.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3458.jpeg
    IMG_3458.jpeg
    604.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3457.jpeg
    IMG_3457.jpeg
    543.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3456.jpeg
    IMG_3456.jpeg
    724.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3455.jpeg
    IMG_3455.jpeg
    639.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3454.jpeg
    IMG_3454.jpeg
    611.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3453.jpeg
    IMG_3453.jpeg
    752.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3411.jpeg
    IMG_3411.jpeg
    791.4 KB · Views: 8
I’m assuming there is a check valve on the spa return since its elevated above the pool level (hard to tell via pictures). This will help prevent the water from flowing back when the pump is not running. In your case, it appears this isn’t working and the water is likely flowing back into the pool overnight. I suspect that you need to replace the seal in that valve. These valves usually unscrew and allow easy replacements of the insides. Just make sure you drain the spa before working on it.

I’m assuming there is a check valve on the spa return since its elevated above the pool level (hard to tell via pictures). This will help prevent the water from flowing back when the pump is not running. In your case, it appears this isn’t working and the water is likely flowing back into the pool overnight. I suspect that you need to replace the seal in that valve. These valves usually unscrew and allow easy replacements of the insides. Just make sure you drain the spa before working on it.
Thank you - I thought so, but could not find a check valve anywhere. Is there anything that looks like it on pictures?

Also when pump is on system seems to start needing to add water. While when pump is off no water is needed. Not sure if both issues are connected.

Also when pump is on system seems to start needing to add water. While when pump is off no water is needed. Not sure if both issues are connected.
Check your pool level before shutting pump off. If the water level in pool rises some after spa leaks down, you have a check valve issue. If the pool level drops some after the pump comes back on and the water fill has to replace, you have a leak in your spa.

Check your pool level before shutting pump off. If the water level in pool rises some after spa leaks down, you have a check valve issue. If the pool level drops some after the pump comes back on and the water fill has to replace, you have a leak in your spa.
Great suggestion, thank you. I will test it, but based on previous experience it might be the leak in spa. Where should I search for it? Seems like water stops at the jets. How do I test/fix them?

Great suggestion, thank you. I will test it, but based on previous experience it might be the leak in spa. Where should I search for it? Seems like water stops at the jets. How do I test/fix them?
Best advice? If no visible sign of water that can be investigated without doing any damage to decking or spa, call a leak detection company. They can pinpoint to great accuracy to a specific fitting or pipe. Been there already with a tiny crack in one spa jet fitting, and without the equipment to find area first, then find specific line, and then use insert-able ballooning plugs to trace that leakage back to the base of the fitting, no way I could have found without major damage and hoping I assumed correctly.

As an updated called the pool company. After testing spa lines they said all are fine except return lines which do not hold pressure/potentially leaking. They’ve plugged the return lines in the spa and I’ve ran cleaner to keep spa full. Still losing water with spa return lines plugged… don’t want to start digging until the problem is clear.

Any thoughts if spa return lines can be still leaking if plugged?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.