PartyTub

Nov 20, 2023
Denver Colorado
Hey everyone. We've been having an issue with our Pentair is10 spa side remote which is controlled by the Pentair Intellicenter. After we got everything installed and did the set up programming we noticed that the is10 remote worked but it did not display the water temp or control the water temp. I'm hoping I can reach someone or multiple people here that are experts with this system.

I had the issue last October. I tried to figure it out myself and was unable to. So last November I reached out to Pentair. Their tech support guy quickly determined our remote was bad. So they put in for a warranty claim to send me out a new remote. I finally got the new one almost exactly one year from when I ordered the replacement.

The first remote worked just fine in all other areas. You can program the buttons, see the air temp, time, RPM's for the VSF pump, etc.... The only function it was not doing was displaying the water temp and activating the Up & Down buttons to change the water temp. You can scroll to the Water temp option but the LCD screen would be blank and the Up and Down buttons would not be lit up.

So, I got the new remote, plugged it in and it's doing the exact same thing! This tells me it's not the remote. I doubt I have received two remotes that are defective and doing the exact same thing. Let me give some more info: The screen on the Intellicenter panel does show the water temp and you can adjust the water temp. Everything is working properly, the only thing that isn't is the remote displaying the water temp and allowing to adjust the water temp. With the water temp showing on the main Intellicenter touch screen tells me it's not the temp sensor.

I installed the new remote and started playing around with the software via the Intellicenter. I was able to get the LCD screen on the remote to display 'Err' a few times. So, it does appear that the Intellicenter is communicating with the remote. In addition, the remote does control the intellicenter with its other functions like Pump speed, jets on and off, etc..... The is10 remote is selected in the intellicenter software and it is enabled. Do the comm ports matter? I have tried Port 1,2,3 & 4 in the software.

I was wondering if there is a setting in the Intellicenter software that limits the remote to changing the water temp. I can see that something like that could exist, maybe for parents to disable so kids cannot change the temperature of the pool or spa. This is installed in a Spa set up, just an fyi (not that that matters I don't think). Can anyone here help?? Has anyone else experienced this?? Is there something I am missing? Any and all suggestions or help is much appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Pentair has had their share of quality problems with parts ever since Covid so getting two defective IS10 panels would not be a surprise.

The IS10 connects to any of the RS-485 connectors in the IntelliCenter.

I would remove the IS10 from the spa wall and bring the IS10 to the IntelliCenter panel. Construct a short cable to connect the IS10 control to the IntelliCenter. If it works then you have a problem with the cable between the IntelliCenter panel and your spa. If the IS10 still does not work I would call it bad.

You may need to buy another cable to get the connector for the test...

I suspect you have a problem with the cable between the spa and IntelliCenter.

How old is your pool/spa? Is your builder any help on this?

1700510160962.png

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

Pentair has had their share of quality problems with parts ever since Covid so getting two defective IS10 panels would not be a surprise.

The IS10 connects to any of the RS-485 connectors in the IntelliCenter.

I would remove the IS10 from the spa wall and bring the IS10 to the IntelliCenter panel. Construct a short cable to connect the IS10 control to the IntelliCenter. If it works then you have a problem with the cable between the IntelliCenter panel and your spa. If the IS10 still does not work I would call it bad.

You may need to buy another cable to get the connector for the test...

I suspect you have a problem with the cable between the spa and IntelliCenter.

How old is your pool/spa? Is your builder any help on this?

View attachment 541396
Thank you for the info Allen. When I received the new remote I did get the full kit which includes the cable. I was going to try what you suggested. Is there any difference between an is10 remote and a Spa Command? Or are they the same remote? I set up an is10 remote on the Intellicenter but noticed that the documentation for the remote says Spa Command. Is there an option in the software of the Intellicenter to set up a Spa Command?

Show me a picture of what you have.

The Spa Command is a different more modern control than the IS10.

Thank you for all the info Allen. I decided to disconnect the wiring from the intellicenter board and use the new wiring that came with the new remote. I had the same results. I even moved it from Comm port B to Comm port A. No matter what I do and what setting I choose I get the same results. The remote works except for the Water temp and water temp adjustment. I am lost on this! Maybe it is the Intellicenter that's the issue.

Did you change the IntelliCenter remote configuration to Spa Command?

Did you delete the IS10 remote and create a new entry for Spa Command?

Post pics of your Spa Command wiring and the circuit configuration on the IntelliCenter.

Did you change the IntelliCenter remote configuration to Spa Command?

Did you delete the IS10 remote and create a new entry for Spa Command?

Post pics of your Spa Command wiring and the circuit configuration on the IntelliCenter.
Happy Thanksgiving! Ok, I have some new info. I had another Intellicenter board that I have not used. It's band new still in its original packaging. So, I thought I'd pull it out, swap it out and connect it to the new remote. The new intellicenter and new remote are doing the exact same thing! I am lost on this! I have done the remote set up as Spa Command. The computer does communicate with the remote by showing the time and air temp. But it will not display the water temp. I didn't fully set up the VSF pump on the second board and I noticed that the pump control was not being enabled on the new remote. I'm thinking I need to go it and get it all set up.

In addition, I haven't set up any circuits or groups. Would that have an effect on the water temperature control?? I am amazed that I cannot get the water temp to display and I cannot get the up and down buttons to illuminate in order to control the water temp from the remote. Is there anything else you can think of that I need to set up in the software?

I have checked, double check and quadruple checked my wiring for the four wires: Red, yellow, green and black. Is it possible that I have either two faulty intellicenter boards or two faulty remotes? Let me know if you have any input on set up in the software? Thank you for all of your input and help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To get the water temp you need to have the filter pump running and I think in SPA mode.

The SPA COMMAND showing time and air temperature is a good sign that the IntelliCenter is communicating with the SPA COMMAND.

Your SPA COMMAND has power and communication from the IntelliCenter.

I think you have setup problems with the IntelliCenter. Were you in SPA mode with your heater running?

Last edited:
Update: I went in and set up a Group and a Circuit with no difference. One thing I am noticings is that when I set up the remote under the Wizard (Or maybe that setting appears under the 'Set Up Remote' setting) and I go in to assign a button on the remote there's a setting I can enable called 'Address' I can turn it on but then it does not save the setting. When I click back into the setting it shows 'Address' as Off. Could this be my issue?

Allen, I just saw your post. I posted my update without seeing your post. I don't have the pump running or on. I currently have the spa drained so I'm not turning on the pump. When I go into the intellicenter it is reporting a Water temp. I have the heater off as well but I can get the intellicenter to show that it has turned on the heater.

I am in Spa mode and I do have the Spa Command remote controlling the Spa body of water. Do you think me not having the pump on is causing an issue? Again, the intellicenter is reporting the water temp (or at least the temperature at the pipe with no water in it).

I don't have the pump running or on. I currently have the spa Do you think me not having the pump on is causing an issue? Again, the intellicenter is reporting the water temp (or at least the temperature at the pipe with no water in it).

I think the IntelliCenter is smart enough to know that it does not have a valid spa water temperature so it is not displaying anything.

Get your spa running and see how it works.

What model heater do you have?

If MasterTemp do you have a 5 button or 6 button keypad?

What model heater do you have?

If MasterTemp do you have a 5 button or 6 button keypad?
Good morning Allen. Ok, I have some new info to share on this whole debacle with the Spa Command remote. We got the system up and running on Friday, pump and all of course. I installed the Spa Command remote in the software with the same results, no water temp reporting and no ability to adjust the water temp. In addition, when I have the Spa Command enabled and installed in the software I cannot change the power of the jets via the RPM setting on the remote. However, if I install an is10 remote in the software and enable it then the RPM setting comes available on the Spa Command remote and I can change the jets up and down.

The only options on the Spa Command remote that are enabled if the Spa Command is enabled in the sofware is: Time, backlight and air temp. It does report the air temp on the remote. If I install and enable the Spa Command in the software then the only option I gain is the ability to change the pump power via the RPM's setting. It does report the RPM's on the remote.

Not sure if this is helpful in anyway but I just thought it was odd that if I enable an is10 remote the Spa command enables the RPM's setting. If I do the Spa Command in the software then the RPM's setting goes away. Thoughts?

Sounds like IntelliCenter software problems. You need to talk with Pentair Support.

Sounds like IntelliCenter software problems. You need to talk with Pentair Support.
I jumped on a call with their tech support yesterday. Her solution? Move the Spa Command connection from a comm port to the J8 port which is used for the is4 remote. I did that and the remote has no power at all. Obviously wrong. So I called again and got someone different. He confirmed that it needed to be on a comm port. His solution is to send a tech out to the spa to look at it and determine the issue. So, I have an appointment for next Wednesday. We'll see what they come up with. Thank you for all your help on this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support