Issue with freeze protection not kicking on w/ EasyTouch

shellbmb

Jun 5, 2018
ATX
Normally my freeze protection kicks on when the temp gets close to 35 degrees. We haven't had a freeze yet, but we've come close twice including last night. I noticed that the freeze protection wasn't kicking on and that my Pentair app was showing the ambient temp at 43 degrees when I knew it was much colder. My thermo said it was 33 degrees ambient outside. That would make sense why the freeze protection wasn't kicking in.

This afternoon I found the ambient temp sensor and as a test, I submerged it in a cup of puffy ice. The temp went down to 35 degrees and the freeze protection kicked in like it's supposed to.

My plan was to replace the ambient temp sensor and monitor it. My issue is that I'm leaving town and I noticed that the forecast called for a few nights of freezing with one night dipping into the low 20's.

Does this sound typical of a failing ambient sensor? Or should I consider draining my equipment to protect it and just deal with it when i get back?

S,

Your EasyTouch is made up of what Pentair calls "Circuits". You can tell any Circuit to come on with Freeze, but generally this is used for the Pool and Spa Circuits.

See the pic below, which will give you an idea of how Circuits, Circuit Names, and Circuit Functions work. Also, off to the right you can see where to turn freeze on and off.

You find the above page in the Set-up pages for ScreenLogic on your PC.

If you only use your phone, it is in the SLConfig app. Note that the phone needs two apps. ScreenLogic and SLConfig

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks. Yes, I can find all that and all the circuits that should have freeze on do. I guess my question is how to I calibrate or adjust the temp probe when currently it's correct? I don't think it's going to be near 32 tonight so I won't be able to check it. I would assume I would need to calibrate it when it's reading 43, but the ambient temp is 33 or something like that.

S,

The idea is to prevent freeze control from turning on too soon. So, adjust the air temp so that the probe thinks the air temp is higher than it actually is.

If the actual temp is say 48, then adjust it so that the probe thinks the temp is 53 or 55. This will allow the temp to drop to 32 degrees are so before kicking in.

It is just one option.

Who care what the air temp probe thinks? It is not used for anything else. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

S,

The idea is to prevent freeze control from turning on too soon. So, adjust the air temp so that the probe thinks the air temp is higher than it actually is.

If the actual temp is say 48, then adjust it so that the probe thinks the temp is 53 or 55. This will allow the temp to drop to 32 degrees are so before kicking in.

It is just one option.

Who care what the air temp probe thinks? It is not used for anything else. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Ahh, gotcha. That makes sense now.

Most of us pool owners in Texas still have some PTSD from the "snowpocalypse" a couple of years ago when we lost power for a week. Power went out in the middle of the night so I didn't get to drain the equipment fast enough. Mind you it was 7 degrees. Managed to salvage the pumps and filter, but pipes and heater manifold were shot.

While it's not forecasted to be as bad, next week will dip into the low 20's and have two other freezing nights. My issue is that I won't be here to monitor the behavior and would prefer to not try remotely.

My pool low runs at 1600 and does go through the spa and pool side because of a waterfall feature on the spa. So there is water going through constantly. If I don't lose power, that should suffice as freeze protection in and of itself I would think.

Or, I just turn everything off and drain the pumps, filter and heater and mess with it when I get back.

If I just pulled the plugs on those equipment items, that should drain enough water from the exposed pipes around the equipment to prevent them from freezing, correct?

I would suggest adjusting the air temp probe by submerging it in a large cup of water filled with crushed ice and rock salt. This will equilibrate to a water temp slightly lower than 32F. Submerge the sensor and let it settle of 20mins or so and then adjust/calibrate temp sensor to 32F. That will ensure the probe is accurate around the freezing point of water.

If I just pulled the plugs on those equipment items, that should drain enough water from the exposed pipes around the equipment to prevent them from freezing, correct?

S,

Depends on how your system is plumbed.

I run my pump 24/7 and it costs me less than $20 bucks a month to do that, so that is my freeze protection. If the power goes out, I will have a problem if I don't go out and drain the system.

If you won't be there, and you want to be safe, then it makes sense to drain any pumps, filter and your heater.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.