Issue Vacuuming Pool - Filter Hose Collapsing In On Itself

Aug 8, 2011
Curious if anyone has had this issue and how they resolved it.

We have a 27' above ground pool that is in need of it's weekly vacuum. I get everything set to go, switch the pump to Waste and off I go... or so I thought.

The hose that leads FROM the pool TO the pump is collapsing in on itself keeping water from reaching the pump and therefor, zero suction.

Why is the hose doing this? This seems to be the only function of the hose, to transport the water from the pool to the pump, but it can't do it's job because its collapsing in, blocking the water from reaching the pump. It's very frustrating.

Will a new hose do the trick? Do I need a super-duper heavy duty pump hose? Will this happen again with the new hose?

Thanks for any advice!
-C

I’m still an amateur myself, but I assume that you have a sand filter since you say you are pumping to waste (you need to include a signature so we can better assist you without having to ask about your equipment).

If so, when you are vacuuming, I don’t think you should be pumping to waste, I believe it should be in normal filter mode. The use for pump to waste as I understand it is for after you backwash, then you should rinse/pump to waste before you go back to normal filter mode to seat the sand back down in the filter.

Maybe I am wrong though - many others I am sure will reply and let you know if there is something else. I think your hose is collapsing because when you pump to waste, you avoid the sand filter, so there is no loss of pressure and it’s too much for the hose.

Have a great weekend!

I found some old pictures of my equipment! Woohoo!

Hayward SWIMPRO LX Pump 1.5HP SPL (70GPM)
SWIMPro High-Rate Sand Filter 200lbs of Sand, 25GPM FIltration Rate

I does quite clearly indicate that the pump should be set to filter for regular vacuuming. I'm certain I was told otherwise years ago when we inherited the pool!!!

You can vacuum to waste or in filter mode. First thing that comes to mind is a blockage in the vacuum or the hose. Next thing is possibly vacuum head is not compatible with your pump. meaning the inlet to the vacuum is to small for the suction of the pump. Lat but not least im sure is hose is old and the side walls are week.. Equipment list and some pics would be helpfull

One negative to vacuuming to waste is you have to replace water more often. Of course you are filling your filter with stuff when you vacuum in the filter mode which eventually leads to backwashing. However, if you are close to a backwash anyway and you vacuum to waste, then you are going to be losing more water than necessary.

Yeah, the wife and I are discussing our idiocy right now via chat. Hysterical that we've had the darn thing for over 8 years and are just now learning to vacuum the pool without wasting all that water to WASTE!

I'm certain that is the issues with the collapsing hose as well. I'll replace it and vacuum properly tonight and all will be well! Glad I mentioned something on these forums, good to finally get the knowledge! Thank you!

Also, I got me a signature :)

One way to eliminate the problem is to hard plumb the pool. How high is the filter pressure when you try to vacuum? Flow is being restricted which is causing the hose to collapse when you try to vacuum. It could be because the filter is already loaded with dirt and needs a backwash first, or it could be that the hose is fatigued and hooking up the vacuum is enough restriction to collapse the hose.

If the pool is clear you don't need to vacuum to waste, just vacuum to filter then backwash and rinse. You only need to vacuum to waste when the pool is full of algae or you need to replace some water.

I agree with zea3 - hard plumbing.

I used to regularly get hose collapses when the skimmer basket would fill (sometimes twice/thrice a day with large leaf deposits - storms or in the fall) and also when vacuuming. Unfortunately once a hose collapses, it will have a propensity to repeat itself more and more frequently at the place where it originally collapsed (plastic deformation giving fatigue). I eventually got tired of this and hard plumbed ... the benefits were immediate and very likely long lasting.

Given the cost of new hoses which may have to be purchased every two or three seasons depending on the frequency of collapse, hard plumbing is a cost benefit. Other benefits: improved water flow, no leaks at joints, ease of removal (if unions are used), better and cheaper valves (if ball valves are used, or ball valves with integrated unions), possibility for inclusion of water features.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Did you sort this problem out?

This happened to us one year, we added a pool vacuum regulator and it sorted the problem out. It's a little add-on that helps to regulate the flow. You can google to see what they look like.

I did hate messing with all those hoses for vacuuming and this year was able to find a good price on a used Tiger Shark robotic vacuum. So much easier! I wish I had made the change years ago!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.