Is this mustard algae

Tddang

Apr 11, 2018
Houston/texas
hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I have these yellow spots in my pool previously which I cleaned with a brush and they disappear. however, of recent, they are coming back more frequently. It is mustard algae? Do I need to SLAM my pool. I have attached a picture. thanksyellow stain on side of pool.jpg

I use Taylor k-2006c. have been putting about 1 quart of liquid chlorine every 3 days and 1-2 pint of muriatic acid weekly. the yellow stains usually on the Side of the pool and brushes off easily

pool is filled from city of houston water. automatic refill

Is it normal for FC to be zero every 3 days?
No. Your FC should never fall below the minimum based on your CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels, not to mention never fall to zero. That, combined with a high pH level can contribute to calcium scale and scale-related staining. First thing I would do is add enough liquid chlorine to get your FC up to about 8 ppm and keep it there today if you can. Tonight start an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if algae has started.

Also today lower the pH with enough muriatic acid to lower the pH down to about 7.5-7.6. Follow the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test page and let us know how it goes.

have been putting about 1 quart of liquid chlorine every 3 days
1 quart of chlorine, if you are using the 10%, adds 1.7 of chlorine to your water each time you do it. In Houston, you could burn through 2-4 ppm this time of year, so if you are adding it only every three days, you are not adding enough chlorine to the water at all.

Is it normal for FC to be zero every 3 days?
While @Texas Splash is correct, it is not normal for a pool to fall that low, the honest answer is the result of adding such little chlorine every three days, it would be normal to see zero chlorine when you test. That is not the normal way to maintain proper sanitization, but the result really should be expected based on your normal routine.

First thing I would do is add enough liquid chlorine to get your FC up to about 8 ppm and keep it there today if you can. Tonight start an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if algae has started.
⬆️ right there is the next step. Chlorine of zero for multiple days, and maybe 1-2ppm for a few hours is great for an algae party. You don't want that in your pool, and if you want to get rid of that, and take control, listen to the great advice and you will have a trouble free pool in no time.

Thanks all! I will perform the overnight chlorine loss test. I have an auto chlorinator with tabs but it doesn't seem to keep my pool chlorinated. I add 10% liquid chlorine when levels are low. I forget to pour additional chlorine daily after work.

Do y'all have a recommendation for an apparatus that automatically adds liquid chlorine daily?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
View attachment 452040
also this is my chlorinator. my installer set it up as such - is the dispensing knob in the correct location. I have seen it in a lower location.
Tab feeders are a recipe for trouble when used as main source of chlorine addition - TFP methods advise using other sources for chlorine, either liquid bleach addition, or salt water chlorine generation.

Tabs are stabilized with CYA. Every tab you put in your feeder adds free chlorine (FC) and cyanuric acid. The FC gets quickly used and the CYA is left behind. As the CYA concentration grows, FC effectiveness is reduced. You eventually get to CYA levels that basically disable FC from doing its job. Only choice is to drain a portion and refill.

Many of us do use tabs from time to time, I mainly use in winter when water temp is too cold for SWCG and I need to boost CYA for Spring. Also good for vacation, etc etc.

Reactions: gingrbredman
FC 3.5 evening of 9/7. FC 3 AM of 9/8
Thanks all! I will perform the overnight chlorine loss test. I have an auto chlorinator with tabs but it doesn't seem to keep my pool chlorinated. I add 10% liquid chlorine when levels are low. I forget to pour additional chlorine daily after work.

Do y'all have a recommendation for an apparatus that automatically adds liquid chlorine daily?

FC 3.5 evening of 9/7. FC 3 AM of 9/8
That is reassuring. At this point I would recommend keeping your FC in the 8-9 range using liquid chlorine or regular bleach. Be sure there are no tabs in use for now. Keep the FC nice and strong in that target range and brush the pool surfaces well. Do not let the FC fall below 6 ppm. Let's see if the residue you were seeing previously gets eliminated and picked-up by the filter. If it continues to return or gets worse let us know.

Reactions: Tddang
is installing a saltwater chlorine generator a diy project?
Absolutely. I installed a Circupool model about 3 years ago. The link is in my signature, but that same holds true with many other models. You can do some online window shopping at Discount Salt Pools. Look for the Comparisons tab and be sure to look for a SWG that is rated for at least 2X the size f your pool. All pools retain salt, even those with liquid chlorine (salt by-product), so don't let that sway you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.