Is this how this is supposed to look?

So we tried to fight the pool builder on the electric and they basically said all we have to do is allow you to meet code nothing further sorry it looks bad the electrician said there were no other options.

Well, thank you very much, *****. That's a lousy attitude. I wonder what he would DO if a subcontractor said that to him at his house?!

Does it cause any risk being that close to pipes with water? Or are those w/o water? I admit I don't know what I'm talking about, but it seems like it wouldn't have taken any greater effort to locate it differently. Take care. Suz.

I would tell him you are giving him a chance to fix a problem. This is not something he would accept at his house if it was his pool. If he continues to deny that it is unacceptable you will escalate it - e.g. not paying anything further until it is resolved.

what is your pay schedule like? Depending on the next payment and items outstanding I would wait until they expect/need a check for a substantial amount of work completed. That should light a fire under his ***.

Perhaps your PB does not wish to be paid further?? I would not let it go.

- - - Updated - - -

That made me laugh!

I agree - it only bothers you because you know it is there and doesn't continue straight on to the coping - don't sweat it!

On the expansion joint, from that picture it doesn't look the best. Though it does need to be looked at in the entirety of the deck. Truly it should aligned with the shadows cast by the railings at solar midday on the summer solstice if your really want to set off your OCD issues. Others won't notice but you will though that that will likely fade too.

I wouldn't accept the electrical either. Simply meeting code is not the standard. Putting it in front of your plumbing not only looks bad, but blocks access. Why didn't they just put it on the wall a little further away from the fence closer to the equipment pad. Or if there was not enough room there, on the wall on the other side between the equipment pad and the AC unit.

Mounting it to a solid wall would have been the best option. Most contractors are all the same when it comes to what works best FOR THEM and that is why I do most everything myself. I would call the electrical inspector and tell them they need to look at it. Pull a permit of your own if thats what it takes. If you get the inspector to turn it down then the contractor cannot ask for additional money until it passes.

look at it this way...there's no way in **** the expansion joint is going anywhere...so don't sweat it.

and 2... do you really want the electrician that mucked up two installs to come fix it a third time? that's like sending a whopper back twice, just asking for it...lol

the PB isn't going to ask him so you're really gonna have to decide if it's worth going to the mattresses over it

so this is how they had the electric originally which will not meet code plus my children can very easily climb that to get over the fence.

- - - Updated - - -

The 1st install looks excellent. I do not see the violation. The 'what if' that your unsupervised children will be using this electrical box as a ladder isn't a legit reason to relocate the equipment. Especially electrical, its easy to say, 'ya just move it a foot over here' the reality is its a complicated task.

If the PB knew about the fence concerns and failed to notify the electrician, thats a different story.

The 1st install looks excellent. I do not see the violation. The 'what if' that your unsupervised children will be using this electrical box as a ladder isn't a legit reason to relocate the equipment.

the Safety Barrier Guidelines for Residential Pools states that you should eliminate handholds and footholds and minimize the size of openings in a barrier’s construction. the concern wouldn't necessarily be for her children, but neighborhood kids. I think one could safely assume that the first install is not reasonable enough precaution to prevent handholds or footholds :dunno:

the Safety Barrier Guidelines for Residential Pools states that you should eliminate handholds and footholds and minimize the size of openings in a barrier’s construction. the concern wouldn't necessarily be for her children, but neighborhood kids. I think one could safely assume that the first install is not reasonable enough precaution to prevent handholds or footholds :dunno:

Ok. I was unaware of this code. I stand corrected and apologize Cbr for giving you a hard time. I'm on your side now, that 2nd install looks terrible. And does not look to code for 2 possible reasons.. the rigid pipe supports and the box mounted on the wall has clearance issues.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cbrach, in Buckeye I was able to avoid a fence altogether by securing all access to the back yard. Side fence is self-closing, sliding glass is self closing, and all windows to back yard only open 4 inches (although, with an exception for fire egress windows...which is the bedrooms...so, I'm still confused on that one.)

Anyway, perhaps this wasn't an option in your city...

and, I mean it is crappy looking. But even the pool equipment when done clean is a bunch of pipes. Did you have any plan to screen off that whole area from sight anyway?

third, I didn't see where you outed who your PB is.

i worried about the climbing hazard, too, with where the put the salt system electric box. they told me that wasn't going to be a climbing hazard. seems like a place to grab on to me, but i get tired of fighting with the pb so i figured i'll see if it passes code as it doesn't bother me otherwise. i always lock the gate to the street that is outside of that.

the 2d inspection in phx is when they check for safety. jeepers, i forgot about the windows! phoenix says they have a "courtesy" inspection if u want one, also. "courtesy" for $150. u can always call the supervisor of your area to tell him your concerns so that when they come out they will know to look for it. if the city denies them then they're forced to move it. i thought this might happen with the city on the first inspection on some plumbing and things that i wanted different but i wasn't home for the inspection (the one hr i was never home, and the inspector knew it, too. i think he wanted to be in and out.) but they didn't catch anything and passed us. then the inspector did call me back and i told him about electric code and he didnt seem to like that. not receptive and so now i just want them in and out for the last inspection and not saying anything about our chickens or arbor that is too close to the block wall. i was hoping the city was on our side but like any profession u have to get a good person who is educated in what they do and will spend the time to do a good job. i'd prob at least start with calling if u were u, tho!

i will try to take a pic of my electric box later or at least measure it. the equipment is more than 3' (in Phoenix it's 36 inches) but the box is close to the gate. pb said it'd be ok, so we'll see. the electric box has gotta be 3 1/2+ feet off the ground, though. yours r steps. a bottom step, then the box about it is the 2d step, then they're up on the fence easily!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.