Is this heat exchanger salvageable?

Jun 15, 2018
Highland, MI
Late last season I had a significant sooting issue with my Hayward HD300 due to a mouse nest blocking almost the entire blower intake plate. This season I've been less then pleased with the heater performance and as part of the resolution I intended on cleaning the HE. Today I opened it up and this is what I found:

The green colored areas are where there were four extremely dead grackles (also sooted, so I assume they were probably in there since the prior spring).

I don't seem have any leaks or water flow issues through the HE but besides some sooting there is a ton of that white powdery substance in each of the tube valleys.

Is this something that would likely clean up without too much trouble or should I prepare to bite the bullet and buy a new HE assembly? FWIW, I don't have a bypass for the heater so all plumbing will be out of service until the cleaning/replacement is complete. Also, I cannot clean the exchanger in place because the heater is on a concrete pad in the pool house so whatever I rinse out is just going to accumulate there.

Attachments

• IMG_4630.JPG
    IMG_4630.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4631.JPG
    IMG_4631.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 1686079154139.jpeg
    1686079154139.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 12
Late last season I had a significant sooting issue with my Hayward HD300 due to a mouse nest blocking almost the entire blower intake plate. This season I've been less then pleased with the heater performance and as part of the resolution I intended on cleaning the HE. Today I opened it up and this is what I found:

The green colored areas are where there were four extremely dead grackles (also sooted, so I assume they were probably in there since the prior spring).

I don't seem have any leaks or water flow issues through the HE but besides some sooting there is a ton of that white powdery substance in each of the tube valleys.

Is this something that would likely clean up without too much trouble or should I prepare to bite the bullet and buy a new HE assembly? FWIW, I don't have a bypass for the heater so all plumbing will be out of service until the cleaning/replacement is complete. Also, I cannot clean the exchanger in place because the heater is on a concrete pad in the pool house so whatever I rinse out is just going to accumulate there.
If there are no leaks, the whole assembly can be removed and cleaned. First try a good strong spray nozzle on a garden hose. If you can adjust the pressure, a pressure washer will work, but take care not to damage the fins on the tubes. Years ago I used a spray-on soot remover from an HVAC supplier on one, but not sure it did a better job than the spray nozzle and a nylon scrub brush. Not a fun job. Doesn't have to be pretty, just fairly soot-free.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.