evabobeva

Jul 30, 2022
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok, so in the past I have had to deal with a small black algae outbreak. I was easily able to get it under control with a SLAM. This was maybe a year ago or so. This year I thought maybe the black algae was returning. There are several very small black spots along the shallow end of the pool. So I started the SLAM process and have been doing it for about five days. My water looks crystal clear and beautiful, but those little spots haven’t changed a bit. They haven’t gotten bigger, they haven’t gone away. I’ve been brushing multiple times a day with wire brush, testing the chlorine with the appropriate TFT test kit, and maintaining the chlorine at the recommend level of 20 (CYA was 50 when I started, PH 7.2 I think). I’m running the pump 24/7. I still am losing FC overnight. It went from 20 to 12 last night, 20 to 14 the night before. So does the FC loss indicate that I am dealing with algae? Or could this be staining from metal? There is also one spot on the side wall in the deep end that is completely different and honesty has me a bit concerned it is a spot that is orange and has grown from about a dime size to a half dollar size in the past year, with a darker center and lighter rust colored irregular edges. There’s also what look to be orangey spots in one area of the deep end (there is a piece of pea gravel next to it in the photo). I’ve attached photos, but it’s very hard to capture these spots, you gotta zoom in and really look.

What am I doing wrong? Should I stop SLAMing and double check my PH? Admittedly I’ve had problems with high PH and might not have gotten it low enough when I started. Should I try a different approach? What should I do about that dark orange spot on the side of pool? Help me.

Attachments

• IMG_1342.jpeg
    IMG_1342.jpeg
    345.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1343.jpeg
    IMG_1343.jpeg
    653.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1340.jpeg
    IMG_1340.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1345.jpeg
    IMG_1345.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1334.jpeg
    IMG_1334.jpeg
    609.6 KB · Views: 23
The SLAM Process can take two or three weeks or more. It can have a long tail where your water looks clear but you still have algae in it. Maintain the FC level as long as you have FC loss.

You may also have a metals problem but I doubt it. But work one problem at a time.

This looks like rusting rebar coming to the surface...

img_1340-jpeg.491080

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.