Is this algae or algae 'dust'?

Gigem94

Gold Supporter
Sep 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Hi TFP gurus, I could use add'l eyes and opinion to see if ya'll think this is algae. I've been a several year TFP user and am familiar with the SLAM process (which I just started cause I believe it is algae), but my chlorine numbers seem to be pretty stable day over day. Here's the current reading (pre shock):
FC 5.4
PH 7.6
TA 80
CH 310
CYA 30

I have scaling on my plaster and typically brush once a week. The scaling starts to look a little yellow by the end of the week, but I think that is the fine aggregate showing through in the scaling. I'm in need of a new plaster, but haven't pulled the trigger. Nonetheless, trying to deal with this mystery. Appreciate the help/advice.

Attachments

• pool_dust.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 35
Yeah, if you're seeing algae, there's no doubt you need to do the SLAM Process. First, your pH needs to be lowered a bit to about 7.2 before you increase the FC to 12, but I would do that now. Once you clear the algae and pass all 3 SLAM criteria, you might consider increasing your CYA for our summer heat. I actually bumped my CYA to 50 last week to help protect the FC from our brutal TX sunshine. Of course if you do increase the CYA later, make sure to elevate the FC as appropriate according to the FC/CYA Levels.

So I SLAMMED yesterday and performed the OCLT last night and passed the 3. When I started the slam, water was clear with a slight haze cause I had brushed and probably had stuff in suspension. But the water is clear, OCLT passed. I'm curious if this is some mustard algae, although it doesn't mimic the pics Ive seen online of what it looks like.

I normally keep CYA 30-50, it, just on the lower side right now cause I've not added CYA in a while. And I'm ok with that cause it's less CL for slamming. I measure CYA monthly and it's worked fine. My pool doesn't get that much daily sun.

You're going to have to make a personal call on this one. Your last post (#5) indicates you passed all 3 SLAM criteria, however above that in post #3 you mentioned this morning seeing green algae dust. If that's true, the SLAM Process must continue. Visibally seeing algae overrides everything. Now if you believe the dust you are seeing may be related to the older plaster failing, or something embedded in it, you can monitor for a bit. Old plaster can retain material from the water than can be misleading or trickier to diagnose.

I had the same thing last year, thinking I had an algae breakout. Back then I slammed, passed, then shocked up to mustard, scrubbed, pulled the the lights out, etc, and I guess it worked, although if memory serves, happened as we got into the cooler fall months. I'm not sure it is algae is the real issue. My chlorine seems to maintain at normal levels. I do run my pump in a limited manner (am low speed 3hrs, aft low speed 3 hours, eve low speed 2 hours, night hi speed 1 hour), but I don't believe lacking circulation causes algae, it's the lack of sanitizer (My pump is on hi for the SLAM tho).

When I run the robot for a cycle, and clean the filters, the drain off water is green too, which leads me to believe it's algae. So maybe it is? It's strange for sure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.