Is this a suitable replacement pressure switch?

otherchuck

Aug 27, 2012
Greetings all,

I have a StaRite SR400NA heater, and need to replace the pressure switch. The one I have now is a TecMark switch and its model info says "4037P- CWCW, K30F/3005" (see first photo). One I found to replace it has similar, but non-identical model info: "4037P , K30F 1814" (see second photo.

Will this replacement work, since they are both 4037P, or should I be suspicious because the model info is not a perfect match?

Also, I have never installed a pressure switch before, and I see there is a dial. Am I supposed to set it to shut off at a particular pressure? Seems like that might be a little tricky; is it?

Thanks!

Otherchuckexisting switch.jpgreplacement pressure switch.jpg

They should have the same pressure setting.

The factory one comes set to 3 psi, so you need one that comes set to 3 psi.

Does the switch give the pressure setting that it has?

Don't adjust unless the heater is above the pool by a lot or below the pool.

Switch Settings

The water pressure switch turns off the burner if the water flow is interrupted.

If the water flow is restricted, the water pressure switch may prevent the burner from firing and cause the “Service System” light to go on.

If the light remains on after the filter has been serviced, have a qualified service technician check the system.

For deck-level heater installations, the Pressure Switch is factory set at 3 psi (20.6 kPa).

If the pressure switch is one to two feet (.3-.6M) below or one to five feet (.3-1.5M) above the pool water level, reset the switch so that it is open when the pump is off and closed when the pump is running.

Turn the star-wheel on the switch clockwise to raise setting (heater below the pool) and counterclockwise to lower the setting (heater above the pool – see Figures 18 and 19).

Test the switch after resetting.

NOTICE: When the heater is mounted more than five feet (1.5M) above or two feet (.6M) below the deck level, a Pressure Switch is no longer adequate.

A Flow Switch must be installed instead.

NOTICE: Heater operation with incorrect Pressure Switch setting may cause operation with no water flow.

Operation of the heater without sufficient water flow may severely damage it.

Verify proper operation of the water pressure switch at the start of every season and every six months thereafter by the following steps:

1. Lower the thermostat setting to turn off the heater.

2. Wait at least 15 minutes after the burner is off, and then turn off the filter pump.

3. Turn up the thermostat as though to fire the burner.

4. Wait one minute. The “Service System” light should go on but the burner should not fire and the blower should not start.

If the blower or burner do start, or if the “Service System” light does not go on, there is a pressure switch malfunction.

Immediately press the OFF button on the operating control to turn the burner off and call a qualified service technician to check the system.

1673969955093.png

1673970052365.png

1673970127325.png

1673970142598.png

1673970166054.png

Last edited:
1673971022295.png

BELOW OR ABOVE POOL INSTALLATION

The water pressure switch is set in the factory at 3.00 PSI (± 0.75 PSI).

This setting is for a heater installed at pool level.

If the heater is to be installed more than 1’ above or below, the water pressure switch must be adjusted by a qualified service technician.

See page 44, Figure 38 FLOW SWITCH: If the heater is installed more than 5’ above the pool or more than 4’ below the pool level, you will be beyond the limits of the pressure switch and a flow switch must be installed.

Locate and install the flow switch externally on the outlet piping from the heater, as close as possible to the heater.

Connect the flow switch wires in place of the water pressure switch wires.

Greetings all,

I got an error message on my Sta-Rite SR400NA heater about the pressure switch, so I decided to replace it with the exact same kind, TecMark 4037p pressure switch. Screwing out the old one and screwing in the new one seems simple enough, but I am wondering how to set it correctly.

I will measure precisely later, but it looks like the pressure switch will be about 12 or 18 inches below the water level, so I know I need to rotate the dial clockwise; approximately how much do I need to rotate it? A quarter turn? A half turn? The instructions I found somewhere (my actual pressure switch did not come with any instructions) says to "test the switch after resetting," but doesn't tell me how to do that. How do I test the switch after resetting to make sure I have it right? Do I just guess some rotation, try to get the heater to turn on, and if I still get an error message, turn it a bit further clockwise? Trial and error?

Probably unrelatedly: I have some instructions from a manual that says to verify the proper operation of the pressure switch at the start of every season in the following manner:

"1. Lower thermostat setting to turn off heater
2. Wait 15 mins after burner is off and turn off filter pump
3. Turn up thermostat as though to fire the burner
4. Wait one minute. The "Service System" light should go on, but burner should not fire and blower should not start. If blower or burner do start, or if "System Service" light does not go on, there is a malfunction. Press OFF, call service tech"

Firstly, I am not sure if the procedure outlined above is the same as I would apply to my system to verify functionality. I had to get a new control panel recently and I got a Pentair 461105 board; the procedure may in fact work fine with that board, but was just looking for confirmation.

But secondly, and more importantly, I think that procedure is just to identify a malfunctioning system, and is not intended to check that I have set the correct rotation on the pressure switch.

Thanks for any guidance!

Otherchuck

If you haven't tossed the old one, and had no "dry firing" issues, look at the scale on the side to see where it was set. Likely it was never adjusted by the installer. Twelve to eighteen inches below water level doesn't add that much pressure to the system. You're right at the level the manual says to start looking.
The "test" is if the heater doesn't fire with the pump off (dry fire). It is that simple. You can see the plunger of the pressure switch operate if you have the case open. If it doesn't fire you're good. If it makes you comfortable, give it a 1/4 turn clockwise and check that it does fire with the pump on. You can keep going in that direction, but eventually you will get to the point that even a slightly dirty filter will be enough to make the heater not fire.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.