Is this a good choice?

Mar 4, 2018
Lenoir, nc
We were looking into having an above ground pool professionally installed then found out we are having a surprise baby in June. We decided to buy a diy pool for now. I’ve been researching and we have chosen the intex ultra frame 24x52 that comes with the sand filter. We have never owned a pool before. We have a big family and often entertain them.

Is this too much to start with?
Or is it doable?

I’ve read through the forums and i think we’ve chosen to dig out and level then place foam down and then would it be appropriate to use the ground cover that comes in the kit for a barrier in between foam and liner?

Is sand neccessary?

I plan on using large cement patio stones for the legs.

Then my plan was to garden hose fill and take a sample of the water to the pool store to start up.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated !!!

Thank you!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You have the basic idea pretty well. The pool size is manageable, and many others chose to install themselves as well. The key to all above ground installs is the ground prep - LEVEL! We can't emphasis that enough. Digging down enough based on your area to remove any roots, rocks, etc is certainly a must, then yes, using any type of various pads or insulation to help protect the liner is also critical. Sand? Sure, it may help with comfort a bit, but so can some pads. If you search on our site with some key words (i.e.. pool padding, base prep, etc) you'll see lots of ideas. The pavers are also good for post stabilization. But did I mention LEVEL? That's a big one.

The one change I would highlight is the pool store. Don't waste your time unless it's for muriatic acid. Avoid most all other products and especially the free testing. Get yourself a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. Either of those kits is a must to test your water. I recommend the TF-100 for its value, but just make sure you have one of those and test your own water. It's EASY, and you'll be happy you did.

Also make sure to visit the Vital Links you see below in my signature. Save/bookmark them as they are important references for later. When you do get your pool, come back and update your own signature as well with all of your info to include which test kit you got. We'll be here to help.

:wave: Welcome to TFP brcruz11

PREP. As stated above prep before you put it up is critical. If you see threads asking why their above ground pool is leaning, or a side buckling or worse, failed ...

Prep is hard but it's so much easier than having a problem and having to take it down only to re-do what should have been done the first time.

Can't stress a great testing kit especially with a new born. It's one thing to have clean looking water but it's not necessarily sanitary water. With a baby or young children it's really important to have the proper level of chlorine.

I did my own. It is a lot of work but save a lot. Again, level ground is key. Don’t skimp on measuring. I highly recommend a sod cutter to remove the grass. If not, it can come back. Make sure to put a veggie killer down before sand or whatever you use. When I did my research, I decided on sand. Just found the pros/cons were better with sand. I think I used about 1-2 inches.

Also, definiately get the tf-100 pool kit. Had the kit for 8 years now. Just replace chimicals every couple or years. I do my own testing and followed instruction on this site. I have perfectly clear water all summer long.

I installed an above ground pool myself last year. As someone already mentioned, double, triple, and quadruple check the area you dig out is perfectly level. Trust me, you don't want to have to drain it right away and then level it a second time. Also, put about half an inch of water in the bottom, then spend plenty of time smoothing out the bottom of the liner and getting it centered within the frame.

If there's no existing power outlet that's close enough to be used without an extension cord, you need to run some outdoor wire and install an outlet to plug in your pump. An extension cord will lead to too much voltage drop and an overheating motor. Found that out the hard way.

Those are great pools for the money. Take care of it and it can easily last you five years. I suggest leaving it up over the winter. It's been my experience that most people that get holes in the liner tend to take them down and put them back up each year. In my opinion, this is harder on them than just leaving them up.

Study our Pool School, get yourself one of the recommended test kits, and I guarantee you'll be amazed at how easy (and cheap!) it can be to maintain one of these pools. I estimate I spent only about $100/yr on my 16'x48".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.