Is there such a thing as a "temp" spa cover?

miamicuse

May 26, 2019
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I am about to start a project in the backyard involving installation of new pavers for a patio area right next to the pool and separate in ground spa.

There will be excavation, workers and tools, it will be dusty and my relatively new (60 day old) $500 spa cover is going to be stepped on and destroyed if I leave them there.

Is there such a thing as a temporary spa cover that is cheap that I can cover the spa during the month long construction?

You could cover the cover with a tarp & a piece of plywood. I would write /spray paint NO STEP on it. You could also replace the cover with this but it would not have much insulating value (unless you used a solar cover underneath) nor would it be lockable if you’re concerned with that. If they damage things in your yard/pool I would imagine they are responsible for fixing/replacing them.

My spa cover is 90" in diameter a round circle with a fold down the middle.

If I use plywood and if it rains (and it rains every day here) it will warp and twist and fall apart fairly quickly.

I am not concerned about heat retention or locking it, it's an in ground spa with a concrete shell so the current cover it's just sitting on it. Something lighter weight that wouldn't float away during heavy rain but not so heavy it cannot be moved by one person.

I wonder if I can get two half circles of thinner plexi glass made and put some hinges down the middle. That way they can see it's a spa and not step over it, and will be less likely to be absent minded and say stack piles of concrete on top of it.

Lots of people just use a bubble solar cover on their spa - not sure that would do what you want in this situation though.

My spa cover is 90" in diameter a round circle with a fold down the middle.

If I use plywood and if it rains (and it rains every day here) it will warp and twist and fall apart fairly quickly.

I am not concerned about heat retention or locking it, it's an in ground spa with a concrete shell so the current cover it's just sitting on it. Something lighter weight that wouldn't float away during heavy rain but not so heavy it cannot be moved by one person.

I wonder if I can get two half circles of thinner plexi glass made and put some hinges down the middle. That way they can see it's a spa and not step over it, and will be less likely to be absent minded and say stack piles of concrete on top of it.

3/4" sheets of pressure treated, ground contact rated plywood goes for about $50 for a 4 x 8 foot sheet.

It weighs about 100 lb, so bring a friend (or have a good back) but it will hold up just fine for your purposes. It it not going to fall apart. And frankly, is a LOT cheaper than plexi (have you priced that stuff lately? OMG!)

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.