Montville NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I was just standing here measuring CYA and the thought hit me. Does an easier manual method exist?

Rather than a sight tube with a dot, I was envisioning a wedge shaped vessel. A vertical back, flat sides, and a slanted front. There would be a black line down the middle of the back. You fill it with solution (heck, you could even have reagent and water lines on it, no need for a separate mixing vessel). Then you sight it from the front, the level where the black line is occluded (by the increasing distance viewed through the water as it gets lower into the wedge) indicates your CYA.

It seems to simple to not have been put into production. Maybe because it uses more reagent than the other method?

I was just standing here measuring CYA and the thought hit me. Does an easier manual method exist?

Rather than a sight tube with a dot, I was envisioning a wedge shaped vessel. A vertical back, flat sides, and a slanted front. There would be a black line down the middle of the back. You fill it with solution (heck, you could even have reagent and water lines on it, no need for a separate mixing vessel). Then you sight it from the front, the level where the black line is occluded (by the increasing distance viewed through the water as it gets lower into the wedge) indicates your CYA.

It seems to simple to not have been put into production. Maybe because it uses more reagent than the other method?
I just filed for the patent.

:goodjob:

That is kind of along the same lines as what I had in mind. Sort of
That one is actually harder to use than the TF style. I had a hard time not moving the white stick while moving between looking down the tube and then in front to read the stick. It was also hard to judge where it exactly faded out. Just filling the tube to the decade lines and checking has been way easier.

But James’ newly patented idea sounds interesting too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.