Is there an alternative/cheaper to liquid chlorine yet?

I think, also, the general thought around here is buy as much as you can afford as it makes the investment more valuable. The difference between a 20k and a 40k causes the cost per FC to go down making it a better deal. I bought one 4 times the size of my pool, and the only reason I didn’t go with the 60 was the delivery time due to back order. I wasn’t waiting any longer. I’m running along at 20% output just rocking along.
Have you replaced the cell yet? How long did it last, and was that the amount of time you expected?

One other consideration that always gets mentioned is automation. If you have or plan to install controls (Pentaire or Jandy for example), you'll generally want the cell to be the same. Exceptions are possible, but not best in terms of simplicity and usability over the long haul.

Have you replaced the cell yet? How long did it last, and was that the amount of time you expected?
I’ve had mine 4 weeks, maybe. Brand new pool built without one and added 6 weeks later. Have no idea on how long it will last other than it’s rated for 10k hours. I’m at 21% output right now running my pump 24/7. I hope I get 7 ish, plus years out of it, but I don’t have to lug chlorine nor do I have the time to test every day or every other day because of work and personal travel. Convenience is worth something to me.

Reactions: seedlings
One other consideration that always gets mentioned is automation. If you have or plan to install controls (Pentaire or Jandy for example), you'll generally want the cell to be the same. Exceptions are possible, but not best in terms of simplicity and usability over the long haul.
While it's nice... I chose to skid the Jandy cell to match my Jandy Automation. Because only 90-day warranty, significantly higher price, anduch lower life.

I ended up with a Circupool RJ-45+ with twice the daily chlorine output, and an excellent cell with 7-year warranty for a great price. Ask them via chat and you can usually get a discount easily.

No regrets no integrating into my Jandy. Check on the percentage occasionally but that's it.

While it's nice... I chose to skid the Jandy cell to match my Jandy Automation. Because only 90-day warranty, significantly higher price, anduch lower life.

I ended up with a Circupool RJ-45+ with twice the daily chlorine output, and an excellent cell with 7-year warranty for a great price. Ask them via chat and you can usually get a discount easily.

No regrets no integrating into my Jandy. Check on the percentage occasionally but that's it.
Sure. Ymmv. I have pretty good evidence my AquaPure cell is 16 years old, though it was broken for a good fraction of that. I got it working again 3 years ago when we got the house. Some report corrosion problems, but I'm not seeing any of that. It's making exactly the 1.25 lb/day it's rated for. Since I got a VSP and run it 24 hours, the cell does fine most of the time at 10%, sometimes 15% if it's really hot and sunny. I like being able to track and adjust the cell from the same app that controls everything else.

Sure. Ymmv. I have pretty good evidence my AquaPure cell is 16 years old, though it was broken for a good fraction of that. I got it working again 3 years ago when we got the house. Some report corrosion problems, but I'm not seeing any of that. It's making exactly the 1.25 lb/day it's rated for. Since I got a VSP and run it 24 hours, the cell does fine most of the time at 10%, sometimes 15% if it's really hot and sunny. I like being able to track and adjust the cell from the same app that controls everything else.
Soooo… can I by a nice cartridge and put it on a timer myself? I know that‘s not what you did, but… instead of all the control panel pizzaz…

I have a circupool cuz at the time they were best bang for my buck & I've been very happy with them. I just used my warranty on something that was clearly my own fault & they covered it on the year 3 tier basically gave me a whole new system for way less than retail.

Soooo… can I by a nice cartridge and put it on a timer myself? I know that‘s not what you did, but… instead of all the control panel pizzaz…
Sure. Circupool and all others I've seen have their own control box. Just wire the box so it's on when the pump is. You don't want the cell on when the pump isn't. Along with chlorine, it generates hydrogen gas. That's explosive. You need water flowing to carry it along. There are horror stories.

If you have a VSP with its own timer, getting the wiring right can be a problem. Only a few VSPs provide a relay that follows the pump cycle to control external equipment like a SWG. You can use an extra timer set to be on only when the pump is, but that can get out of sync, for example when power fails.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.