Is there a way to modify a Hayward SWG to adjust the incorrect low salt reading?

crosley

Mar 27, 2014
Arizona
My Hayward salt system is doing the infamous "low salt" reading when the salt levels are fine.

I had the cell tested, it failed the test. The salt cell system works great WHEN I can "fool" it. Like I can do a hard reset and it pumps chlorine out for a day or two. My entire ownership experience, I would have to frequently reset the system to get a salt reading. It was almost a weekly ritual.

Is there a way to "fool" it long term, like add a resistor somewhere?

A little background:

So I'm on my 2nd Hayward SWG cell in 4.5 years. The first one was a warranty replacement, the 2nd one exceeded the warranty so now I'm SOL. So now I'm most likely going to just ditch the system altogether as I haven't been happy with it. I was at first, but I have not had the luck other people have had with it.

I'm actually very fastidious about the water chemistry, PH, and cleaning the cell with a hose instead of soaking it in muriatic acid. I also would "not" use the cell during the winter to get more life out of it. All of this though, I got 18 months on my replacement. I just cant fork out another $800-$1000 for another one.

How many gallons in your pool?

What size cell?

What is the serial number of your cell?

4.5 years on a cell in AZ is likely a good cell life even with a warranty replacement.

SWG cells are a consumeable with a fixed amount of chlorine it can generate. How long did you expect the cell to last?

Last edited:
If the cell is a T15 and you have a 10000 gallon pool, 18 months is quite short. Unless you have low levels of CYA.

If the cell is a T9 and a 20000 gallon pool, then, that is about right.

Your previous thread concerning salt levels indicated you do not have a salinity test kit. And that your salinity levels were high from the tests you used. How are you testing your salinity levels now?

Reactions: DavidArmenB
Knowing your pool size, SWG model number, CYA level and exactly how you have been maintaining your pool over the last several years will help in providing you better information.

You can help us with most of that by filling out your signature with pool, pool equipment (manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.

Where specifically in AZ are you?

Looks like I was able to answer my own question in a write up on this system on TFP!

By selecting T-9 instead of T-15 on the control board (I have 40k cell) that "fools" the system into thinking the salt reading higher (in my case, the "fooled" reading is actually almost identical to what the reading should actually be)

I now have a cell producing chlorine. (y)

I'm sure this is not ideal, but my goal was just to nurse it along until summer was over. Hopefully the chlorine price situation will be better.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.