Is there a way to change the recommended ranges?

jkarn

Apr 16, 2023
Chicago, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Salt & Swim 3C
I was wondering if there is a way to change the recommended ranges. Specifically, CH and CYA for a Chlorine/Bleach Hot Tub. The Sticky Thread for Chlorine Spa shows significantly lower levels than the app. I would like to keep the warnings on, but be able to adjust my ranges. TIA!

The recommendations for those are based off of what your chlorination method & surface is set as.
With vinyl & bleach selected the recommended ch range should be 0-650 with ideal being 50-550
& the cya recommended being 30-60 with ideal being 40-50.
These are within the ranges that we recommend for standalone spas in the sticky.
In the settings the only parameters you can manually change/set are salt & borates.

The recommendations for those are based off of what your chlorination method & surface is set as.
With vinyl & bleach selected the recommended ch range should be 0-650 with ideal being 50-550
& the cya recommended being 30-60 with ideal being 40-50.
These are within the ranges that we recommend for standalone spas in the sticky.
In the settings the only parameters you can manually change/set are salt & borates.
If you can't change it, that's fine. :) I want to mention, though, the numbers you posted are definitely different than what's mentioned in the sticky for Chlorine under Spas forum. It doesn't talk about surface in there, though.

30ppm cya & up to 150ppm ch if needed to prevent foaming are the recommended levels.
Can you show me what you’re referencing?

30ppm cya & up to 150ppm ch if needed to prevent foaming are the recommended levels.
Can you show me what you’re referencing?
Ok, that's what I saw, but that's not what you posted above :). The app shows 30-60 for cya, though according to the Sticky I would assume 20-something (it reads, to me, 20-30). The app shows 250-650 for CYA, and that's significant from 150. Again, not a huge issue... Would just be nice to be able to change it for Spa or have it automatically do it. Just a future suggestion then.

Switch to vinyl & the low ch warning will go away.
Fwiw - My ch is 50 & its fine.
For the cya as it pertains to a spa, the upper limit of 60 isn’t terrible & is still doable for a spa but anymore than that becomes a bit impractical to maintain.
Anywhere between 20-40 is fine so long as proper chlorination is maintained.
If you notice, there’s two sets of recommendations,
Recommend- which is the broadest
& ideal - which is more narrow.
As with all poolmath recommended ranges they shouldn’t be blindly followed or necessarily stringently adhered to.
They are there as guard rails.
Like with ph - there is no “perfect” ph only the one that works best for your situation & isn’t off the rails one way or the other.
Some people kinda freak out when they get a not recommended/not ideal warning. If you’re one of those people or they just bug you, you can turn them off in advanced settings at the bottom of the settings menu
IMG_9994.jpegIMG_9993.png
Poolmath is really designed for pools but hopefully we’ll get some spa features in the future! Trust me it’s been very requested 👍🏻
until then we have to do a few workarounds.

Reactions: newdude and jkarn
Switch to vinyl & the low ch warning will go away.
Fwiw - My ch is 50 & its fine.
For the cya as it pertains to a spa, the upper limit of 60 isn’t terrible & is still doable for a spa but anymore than that becomes a bit impractical to maintain.
Anywhere between 20-40 is fine so long as proper chlorination is maintained.
If you notice, there’s two sets of recommendations,
Recommend- which is the broadest
& ideal - which is more narrow.
As with all poolmath recommended ranges they shouldn’t be blindly followed or necessarily stringently adhered to.
They are there as guard rails.
Like with ph - there is no “perfect” ph only the one that works best for your situation & isn’t off the rails one way or the other.
Some people kinda freak out when they get a not recommended/not ideal warning. If you’re one of those people or they just bug you, you can turn them off in advanced settings at the bottom of the settings menu
View attachment 571235View attachment 571236
Poolmath is really designed for pools but hopefully we’ll get some spa features in the future! Trust me it’s been very requested 👍🏻
until then we have to do a few workarounds.
Yeah, I'm a Cloud Data Engineer and exclamation points scare me. Lol I guess I'll turn off the warnings and make mental notes of where my levels should be. Thanks for the explanations!

Reactions: Mdragger88
As you can see I turn off the tighter “ideal” ones because they drive me batty.
I still keep the big guardrails in place incase I have a Homer Simpson moment 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: jkarn