Is there a virus on the website?

cpeterson70

Gold Supporter
Sep 28, 2015
Carrollton/TX
I have tried to get to the website on my computer and my virus protection software at work stops me and says there is ransomware.

d17a503ce689035fb104773cf5d1e4f7.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My gut says that's a setting your work has in place to prevent you from downloading file formats that may be bad. That said, I've deleted the thread you were searching and will review the Excel file in the thread once I return home tonight.

My gut says that's a setting your work has in place to prevent you from downloading file formats that may be bad. That said, I've deleted the thread you were searching and will review the Excel file in the thread once I return home tonight.

That thread was fairly active over the last two years and I know many people downloaded and used that Excel Spreadsheet created by the OP. I think I may even have a very old version of it somewhere. All of my computers (Windows machines, Mac don't need A/V software...) have Norton A/V on them and I've opened that file up before without ever an issue being detected. But, as I said, my copy of it is old.

One thought would be to PM the OP of that thread and ask him directly about sending you a copy....one without viruses preferably ;)

All the link get the same message as the screen shot above, with the category Ransomware. I did go to the site over the weekend at home with no problems. Maybe it is our network?? I was not logged into the network this weekend.

On Saturday, I checked out the version of the excel file to make sure I had the latest version downloaded. Today, I just tried the link when received the message for the first time this morning because I had just visited that link on Saturday.

I'm still unable to tell 100% for sure just what's going on, if it's the site itself or a setting at your workplace. For now there is a scan going on site wide for any files that are harmful which will tell us if there's anything that don't belong. I'll post back once I know the results.

Just got some results so far (these can take forever). So far the scan is about 30% complete and has returned no errors. Again, I'll update once it's complete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your corporate IT may be blocking any kind of download files. There have been some very convincing ransomware attacks that pop-up, there is a fake Firefox update that comes to mind, so they may be blocking all downloads and classified them as ransomware.

For now I am continuing to check every part of TFP just in case. I'd rather spend the time checking everything and rather than ignoring it. As mentioned before though, these take forever!

Additionally I have checked some items from Google (whom often know that a site has issues before the site itself does) and I see no errors listed on the Webmasters Toolkit either so far.

That said, all is getting looked over....just in case.

CP, check in with your IT folks. Dollars to donuts they've dialed you down tight in light of recent ransomeware events. From a corp standpoint, they're not likely to allow surfing where there are executable files like excel available for download. It's unfortunate, because there's a lot of utility in sharing excel files...but consider it a sign of the times.

Just got the server scan completed which shows no signs of malicious files on TFP's servers. I'm holding off on returning the spreadsheet thread back for public view however until I can further check those files as well. The Excel file was being downloaded from a Google Drive account which we have zero control over. Before I return it I wanna make sure it too is OK. Below is a tidbit from the server scan,

STARTED: Jan 23 2017 19:46:08 -0600
COMPLETED: Jan 24 2017 09:13:51 -0600
ELAPSED: 48463s [find: 1s]

TOTAL FILES: 92545
TOTAL HITS: 0
TOTAL CLEANED: 0

Glad the site is clean! ?

I actually work for a security software company. I know ransomware is a biggie today. I'm an accountant though, so I don't really understand all the technical aspects. But I just got concerned when all the other links I went to in the forum had the same message and other websites were fine. Thanks for checking though.

Wow! 13 hours to check 93K files....time to trade in that IBM XT PC server for an 80's vintage Apple IIe...

ibm-pc.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.