Bronze Supporter
Apr 4, 2024
Peoria, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm having trouble with this test as well. I had an RO service done to my water. The tech took a sample to Leslie's and the CYA read 10. Fine...who knows. I bought a bottle of liquid CYA that was supposed to add 30ppm in 10,000 gallons (my pool is a little over 14,400). I dumped it in over two applications. I waited a day and took it back to Leslie's and it read 28...reasonable based on where I started. I added a pound of dry CYA and left it over night to try to get it to dissolve (sock method). It did a bit (maybe 50%). I waited another day to test with the Taylor kit and I fill that vial up and the dot is clear as can be. The solution, after mixing, wasn't very cloudy at all. So it is saying CYA is zero. Not sure how that can be.
Am I doing something wrong here?

If the CYA water sample is at all cloudy, there is some CYA in the pool water.
Don't believe the LPS test - they get that one wrong more times than not.

How long has the granular CYA been totally dissolved?
If you kneed and shake the sock in the water, it usually dissolves pretty quickly.
Use only the granular CYA, unless you like paying a ton for the liquid.

When doing the CYA test, fill the test tube to one of the lines - say 60 - and lower the test tube to your waist, back to the sun, and then just glance to see if you can see the dot. If so, fill tube to 50 and try again. Rinse, repeat.
If the dot is visivle at 40 and not visible at 30, round your CYA up to 40. Remember - glance, don't stare.

Follow up - I think I'm giving up on this CYA test. I dumped a gallon of liquid conditioner from Leslie (in my sized pool it was supposed to add 26 ppm). Then I've since added 2 8oz trichlor tabs (pool math says a total of 4.7 ppm). I also added a pound of dry stabilizer over a week ago (supposed to add 9 ppm, but I pulled it out after 24 hours because only half, or so, had dissolved).
Conservatively, I've added 35 ppm. I run the test with the vial full and can clearly see the dot at the bottom. I followed the advice I've read on this site about turning away from the sun, glancing at waist level, etc... I can always see the dot clearly. Should I just go forward with what I know should be in there?
Should I assume 40, for purposes of chlorine needs, etc...?
Probably, too worried about the details here, but I have this need to know that the testing numbers are accurate:)
Thanks