Is the Pentair Easy Touch remote obsolete?

Jeffrosmit

Apr 15, 2024
Texas
My pool is 10 yrs old and my remote stopped communicating with the panel. I reset the power, tried to require wireless address with no luck.
Pool guy says the remote, antenna, and circuit board all need replaced due to them being obsolete. $2k to replace.
Is this true about being obsolete?
Any other ideas or solutions?
Thanks!

I wouldn’t spend any money on it. Maybe see if you can live without it and if you decide you need remote capabilities then do the Intellicenter upgrade which includes cell phone control. It’s half the price of what your guy quoted you.

I’ve never understood why those remotes are so expensive.

hey @Jeffrosmit the prices of these things are ridiculous... the Easytouch is obsolete as Pentair is pushing the Intellicenter. Personally, I would limp the ET along rather than upgrade to Intellicenter because 1. I'm cheap and 2. the ET is more durable and much easier to fix than the Intellicenter. But I would buy used rather than pay retail for new ET parts.

Going with Screenlogic and trashing the remote isn't an altogether bad idea, but screenlogic is $$$ too, and the ET remote (or an indoor panel) actually stores a copy of your programming whereas Screenlogic does not.

If you can't re-establish the wireless address following poolclown's method (I don't have the link handy), I would try it again and give it a full minute to acquire. If that still doesn't work, then it's possible that the wiring to the outdoor transceiver (aka "antennna") has a failure (loose or corroded wire), the transceiver itself is bad, OR the outdoor board's comm port is bad... usually in that order.

Pool guy says the remote, antenna, and circuit board all need replaced due to them being obsolete. $2k to replace.
I don't know what he meant by "circuit board" - it seems like he's talking about the outdoor board... so, here's a few questions:
1. was the failure preceded by a thunder storm (have you had any lightning)?
2. what are the firmware versions on your outdoor board AND remote? (go to Menu > Diagnostics > Software Rev)
3. what is the FCC:ID on the back of your handheld remote?
4. do you have anything else besides the outdoor transceiver connected to the comm port? (swg, intelliflo, is10, indoor panel?) If so we can use it to check your outdoor board.

-Tom

Reactions: Jimrahbe