Is the corrosion caused by HCL vapor and metal dangerous?

dailygenesis

Gold Supporter
Nov 19, 2022
Oklahoma City
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I've been reading about pool chemical safety on this forum and attempting to get my house in order as far as how I store chemicals. I only recently started using muriatic acid in the pool and was storing it in my outdoor shed. However, I then read on this forum that vapors from the bottle can cause corrosion to metals. I have a metal shelf unit in the shed and a couple of other metal tools that were in there. I do see evidence of corrosion that I think might be attributed to the HCL (they metals weren't in great shape to begin with but I think have gotten worse). I've moved the HCL to a separate outdoor storage box to prevent this issue in the future.

My question is this -- aside from being ugly, is the corrosion caused by the HCL on the metal dangerous? Do I need to completely get rid of anything that was corroded or can I continue to use it?

My second, slightly unrelated question is -- can I store dry acid in the same storage bin as HCL?

Thanks in advance!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.