Is salt just salt?

CaptainCannonball

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
May 18, 2016
Woodland, Ca
Prepping a SWG installation for next week. I have a taylor salt kit on order to check level before I add salt. I have used bleach for 5-6 years and from my limited understanding that adds “salt,” but is it the correct salt? Will I need to drain and refill? If so I would definitely have to wait until winter.

If salt from the liquid chlorine isn't the same, will it throw off the reading from my test kit? Sorry for the dumb question, just don’t want to screw anything up 😅 tia

f salt from the liquid chlorine isn't the same
It turns into the same salt. It builds up over time from LC and will get you 1/3 to 1/2 of the way to having ‘salt water’. Some even get to the same level, but that’s pretty rare.

So you test your start point and add to get the rest of the way. I just reminded someone to test before on a new fill following a replaster. They were already at 600 a couple weeks later. 1/5 in no time.

I think Jason was the one that clued my into the fact that Bleach starts as Salt-Water and in an industrial scale is run through an electrolytic cell and it turns the salt water into bleach. We have a mini-version of what is done to create standard bleach.

Last edited:
Prepping a SWG installation for next week. I have a taylor salt kit on order to check level before I add salt. I have used bleach for 5-6 years and from my limited understanding that adds “salt,” but is it the correct salt? Will I need to drain and refill? If so I would definitely have to wait until winter.

If salt from the liquid chlorine isn't the same, will it throw off the reading from my test kit? Sorry for the dumb question, just don’t want to screw anything up 😅 tia
I switched to salt several years ago after more than 5 years of liquid chlorine. I was surprised and relieved that I tested first. Yes, it's the right salt. If I hadn't tested I would have been over 1000 ppm high on salt for my cell. Just perform your K-1766 salt test and subtract that from the amount recommended for your cell. I would also recommend you add the salt in the shallow end. Some brands of salt have a little sand or dirt that's easier to vacuum up in the shallow end. What brand and model are you installing? Are you doing this DIY?

Chris

I switched to salt several years ago after more than 5 years of liquid chlorine. I was surprised and relieved that I tested first. Yes, it's the right salt. If I hadn't tested I would have been over 1000 ppm high on salt for my cell. Just perform your K-1766 salt test and subtract that from the amount recommended for your cell. I would also recommend you add the salt in the shallow end. Some brands of salt have a little sand or dirt that's easier to vacuum up in the shallow end. What brand and model are you installing? Are you doing this DIY?

Chris
Yes it is a diy, on our last pool I installed a Jandy ei or something. I picked up a Circupool edge40 mostly because space is tight and the RJ is a bit longer. The RJ45 would have been close and force me to cut my pvc pipe right next to the concrete.

I appreciate the advice about adding the salt in the shallow end.

Reactions: markayash
I hope it goes as well for you as it did for us. Installation was a snap and my wife loves the salt pool. After only minutes in the pool she said "this is like a spa and I never want a non-salt pool again!". My Circupool unit worked like a charm! Started on 40% power with settings estimated using Pool Math and we were set within a day or so. Sold the house on 3rd year of salt operation and never had to change % power. I just used automation to control run time.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Chris

I hope it goes as well for you as it did for us. Installation was a snap and my wife loves the salt pool. After only minutes in the pool she said "this is like a spa and I never want a non-salt pool again!". My Circupool unit worked like a charm! Started on 40% power with settings estimated using Pool Math and we were set within a day or so. Sold the house on 3rd year of salt operation and never had to change % power. I just used automation to control run time.

Good luck to you and keep us posted!

Chris
I appreciate the well wishes 🙏 definitely looking forward to it. Wife reminded me we have done 5 seasons without salt 😬🤣 Thanks to JamesW I can tell her that isn’t true

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well got my test kit today…. 4.5 seasons on liquid chlorine and was eagerly counting drops. Thought “made it to 5 sweet, nice head start at 1000ppm” then 10, then 15 and I was so relieved I would only need a little salt. But wait 🤣 it kept going all the way to 22 drops (4400 ppm) right on the max suggested limit! That is the equivalent of 750 pounds of salt 😅

Not too far from the estimated 5,017 ppm.

What SWG are you going to get?
Yeah totally! Splash out and there it is.

I installed a circupool edge40 today. The instructions said if installed with a vsp, wire it with constant power and rely on the flow switch to activate it. 🤨 Instead I installed it to be switched with the pump as it makes me feel safer. I was pumped to be able to fire it up and not wait for salt. 😄👍

Well got my test kit today…. 4.5 seasons on liquid chlorine and was eagerly counting drops. Thought “made it to 5 sweet, nice head start at 1000ppm” then 10, then 15 and I was so relieved I would only need a little salt. But wait 🤣 it kept going all the way to 22 drops (4400 ppm) right on the max suggested limit! That is the equivalent of 750 pounds of salt 😅
Assuming you used the reagent completely vertical and didn't force the droplets much then what you got you have.

I just installed an RJ60+. When I bought the Taylor K-1766 test kit last summer, it showed 1200ppm. So I bought salt based on that number (without rechecking) this summer. Long story short, I bought too much salt as as the salinity had increased to 1600 in a year of using liquid chlorine (prior owners used pucks).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.