Is my pump dead? or is it something else?

Brannon132

Platinum Supporter
May 5, 2015
Enumclaw, Wa
Quick backstory I purchased a hayward 1.5hp powerflo matrix pump/sand filter combo 2 1/2 ago before i found tfp. I know its over-sized but I love how much water it pushes out and that is spins me around the pool. the first year I had only one skimmer basket and have a few big trees around me and my skimmer basket would get full after a breeze and my pump would run half primed. Once I emptied the skimmer basket my pump would prime itself and be fine. Last year I added another skimmer basket and the pump has never gotten bogged down since.

Middle of last summer it wasn't pumping enough flow for my heater so I thought that one of my check valves were stuck or something and after messing with it numerous times and one time there was a blooosh somewhere in the pipes and a bunch of air came through the pipes and then it ran with full force for the rest of the summer. (weird i know, it sounded like something was clogged and that it let loose)

Now I cant get it to run hayward wanda pool cleaner, it gives up on her after like 15 min. then it doesn't self prime itself. So I've been having to prime it and it doesn't seem like its giving me full flow again....

Questions:
Does this sound familiar of a pump failing?
Does a failing pump have any safety concerns?
What else could it be?
What can I check before I replace the pump?

Thanks for the help,
Brannon McCarthy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.