Zoomieneumy

May 25, 2023
Austin/TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Brand new pool (26k gals) in central Texas, trying to get the chemicals started up. I have the TF-Pro as well as a first test from Leslie and a Pentair basic test.

Leslie test: FC .03, pH 8, TA 80, CH 113, CYA 5. These results made sense based on the source of the water we used to fill the pool.

After $500 worth of chemicals including 2gals of Leslie Instant Conditioner and 35 ounces of 53% Cal-Hypo (among other Leslie products...), I let it run for 24 hrs and then did the TF-Pro full test with the below results.

TFPro test: FC was still pretty much clear .0, pH 7.6, TA 100, CH 225, CYA went to the top of the viewing tube and never lost the dot. Some fuzz, so I would say CYA was maybe a 10...?

My question for the big minds here is, should it take 6 gallons of conditioner to get the CYA within the target range on 26k gallons? And if so, is it possible that without the CYA in the target range, my pool just ate the 35 ounces of chlorine?

What advice for me moving forward with my chemical additions besides don't pay Leslie for overpriced products?

Thanks in advance for doing what you do!

Use your own test kit. Stop going to the pool store.

Add 30 ppm CYA worth of stabilizer using the sock method. Might have to do it in a couple batches with your pool volume. Once that is all full dissolved, test for CYA in a couple days. Then add enough to get to 50 ppm CYA.

Keep the FC in target range for the CYA goal you have added for. Use liquid chlorine, Daily.

Reactions: Zoomieneumy
First, return everything to Leslies that isn't liquid chlorine, muriatic acid, and CYA. Second, stop going there.

35oz of 53% cal-hypo would have added 5.3 FC (use the PoolMath app for this - use the "Effects of Adding" tool in the menu). Given that you have virtually no CYA, I wouldn't be surprised if it burned all that off.

1 gallon of liquid CYA would only raise it 14, and that's assuming whatever is in that bottle of magic potion from Leslie's is 100% CYA. Looking at their website, it isn't.. it's only about 30% CYA.

I would go to Walmart and buy liquid chlorine and granular stabilizer and return everything that you possibly can to Leslie's.

What advice for me moving forward with my chemical additions besides don't pay Leslie for overpriced products?
Someone called me? Seems like it but you are in good hands...follow the advice you've been given.

My question for the big minds here is, should it take 6 gallons of conditioner to get the CYA within the target range on 26k gallons?
6 gallons will raise CYA by 85 in your pool. Did you add that much? That is a really high target for a liquid chlorine pool. Please don't add that much until you have a better understanding of CYA/stabilizer.
Download PoolMath...it will give you better answers...Link-->PoolMath
And if so, is it possible that without the CYA in the target range, my pool just ate the 35 ounces of chlorine?
Easily. With no CYA, in TX, May, 35 ounces is 1 FC. Your daily demand is likely 3-4. Today in Ohio my FC demand was 4 FC, and that is with CYA 70.

A great place to start...Link-->Pool Care Basics
and this...Link-->FC/CYA Levels

Sincerely,
PoolStored.

4 things I've learned already from this post.

1. Leslie was the wrong place to start my education...
2. This is the right place for my questions.
3. Leslie CYA is only 30% CYA and 2 gallons wasn't nearly enough. Bye Bye FC!
4. You guys are awesome.

Thanks for all the input here! I'll follow the recommendations and use the Pool Math app! Thanks to all!

1. Leslie was the wrong place to start my education...
No question, Sincerely, PoolStored.
2. This is the right place for my questions.
Yep, saved me $1000s.
3. Leslie CYA is only 30% CYA and 2 gallons wasn't nearly enough. Bye Bye FC!
Use dry chlorine stabilizer. Add with the sock method. Don't use liquid stabilizer.
4. You guys are awesome.
Thanks! 😊

Use granular conditioner/stabilizer instead - much more cost effective.
Add via the sock method.

Liquid stabilizer is called "liquid gold" at TFP for a reason.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.