Is my Jandy Pump Toast? VSPHP270AUT

Mozez

Bronze Supporter
May 28, 2020
Vienna, VA
It's been a bad week of storms here in Northern Virginia. This weekend, lightning struck a tree less than 40 feet from my equipment pad. The power went out, and even though my pump was not on at the time, I can't seem to get it started again. Thanks to other posters here, I used a multimeter to check voltage input and even tried the jumper trick suggested in the manual, all to no avail. There is an audible click, and I can hear the relay go off, but nothing is happening at the pump, and all voltages (DC and AC) check out. I'm going through the mental acceptance of the fact that I need to purchase a new pump or at least a motor and was wondering if anyone here had any success in reviving a pump post-electrical outage or even if they would recommend another/different pump as a replacement? For what it's worth, my original pump was a Jandy 2.7HP variable speed pump, Model VSPHP270AUT. The Jandy losses continue to pile up this year: new Salt cell sensor and now pump...

You say the voltage checks out - does that mean you have 220 at the pump?
If you put it in SERVICE mode - does the pump not turn on?
Have you disconnected the RS485 cable and replug it?
Have you reset the controls board - small reset port above the word AUTO on the main panel of Jandy Aqualink. (I am assuming you have this automation system when you say the relay go off)

You say the voltage checks out - does that mean you have 220 at the pump?
If you put it in SERVICE mode - does the pump not turn on?
Have you disconnected the RS485 cable and replug it?
Have you reset the controls board - small reset port above the word AUTO on the main panel of Jandy Aqualink. (I am assuming you have this automation system when you say the relay go off)
Thank you, Herman, for replying to my post. I did check the voltages at the terminals (I got 120V and not 220), but they have no auxiliary setup, so that is strange, but it did work perfectly before.
When I put it in service, it does not run. I? I checked and replugged the cable as well as checked the 24V from the controller and reset the system through the small reset button, all to no avail.

It appears that you may have tested just 1 leg of the power input to get 120 volts. Most pumps (not all) are 240 volts but regardless it appears you have power to the pump.

Does other functions on the automation work such as lights? I am trying to ensure it is not board issue.
Do you have access to a small motor repair service? if you remove the pump you may be able to have it serviced verses purchasing a new pump.

You can purchase Pentair VS pump or you can go with Calimar pump. Some Pentair pumps work with AquaLink (such as IntelliFlo or IntelliFlo3) which means you can control speed and set multiple speeds and schedules. Other 3rd party VS pumps will need to be controlled at the pump.

Reactions: Mozez
It appears that you may have tested just 1 leg of the power input to get 120 volts. Most pumps (not all) are 240 volts but regardless it appears you have power to the pump.

Does other functions on the automation work such as lights? I am trying to ensure it is not board issue.
Do you have access to a small motor repair service? if you remove the pump you may be able to have it serviced verses purchasing a new pump.

You can purchase Pentair VS pump or you can go with Calimar pump. Some Pentair pumps work with AquaLink (such as IntelliFlo or IntelliFlo3) which means you can control speed and set multiple speeds and schedules. Other 3rd party VS pumps will need to be controlled at the pump.
Thank you Herman for all your invaluable help. I did check other items (lights/cleaner pump etc.) and all seem to be working okay. Will look at servicing the motor and the Intelliflo and Calimar pumps. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.