Is My Bleach Bad?

edd189

Jul 22, 2023
Apex, NC
I posted a few days ago about my Pentair IC40 dying and needing to balance water manually in the interim. I normally have a pool service, but they only come by monthly, so I needed to learn about water chemistry.

Starting last Saturday, I begun adding liquid bleach. I used a Taylor K-1004 test kit to test for chlorine -- every time I tested, I got 0.0. I noticed that the R-0002 reagent said "best by 2/23" so I figured it was expired.

Over the past 5 days, I have added 1 gallon of bleach per day. See attached photo of bottles used. I have used the Orenda app to determine my target chemicals to add. (side note, I also added 1/4 gallon of Muriatic Acid to get my pH down from 8.1).

I also dropped in a floating tab dispenser with two chlorine tabs last weekend. They are about halfway dissolved now.

Today my TF-100 Salt test kit arrived (shout out to TFTest Kits and their super fast shipping!). These are the numbers I got:

Temp - 89F
FC - 0.0
CC - 0.0
PH - 7.2
Alk - 70
CH - 225
CYA - 80
Salt - 3000

So everything else is good, except chlorine. Why have 5 gallons of liquid bleach over the past week not brought my FC up? Are they expired? I found date codes on some of the bottles. 22 188 (I assume 188th day of 2022?). 23 131. I've used Home Depot HDX 8.25%. And also Lowes Pool Essential 10%.

What am I doing wrong? Why can't I get chlorine in my pool??

Edit to add: Vinyl pool, 16,500 gallons. Pentair system.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    411.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    695.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 12
Why have 5 gallons of liquid bleach over the past week not brought my FC up?
Simply put, it's not enough. In my ~18K pool, it took 1/2 gallon (10% strength) each day with perfect chemistry to maintain the proper FC level. Those 5 gallons might last about a week if the water was good, but I suspect you already have algae. There's very little chance you would not have algae with a CYA of 80 and no free chlorine registering.

At this time, I would add 2 gallons right away, then test again this evening to ensure your FC is somewhere between 7-10 ppm. Then do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If you pass, great. But I would be surprised. If you fail, then you'll need to start a SLAM Process to kill & remove the organics that are placing a heavy FC demand on your water.

I should also note the date of the chlorine/bleach has a direct impact on its effectiveness. You should see a Julian date on each bottle. Something like "23-175". That would be the 175th day of 2023. The older the bleach, the weaker it can get.

I have yet to take the SWG plunge and I use 1 gallon of bleach every two days in my 26k gallon pool to maintain FC. You are going to need a lot of it. I order mine from Walmart.com for $5.67 a gallon and someone delivers it in their car like DoorDash. Walmart only has a $35 minimum for free local shipping so I usually only buy 8 jugs or so at a time so I get fresher bleach instead of just stocking up all at once. I stopped buying mine from Lowes and HD due to price, they leave their stock outside in the heat, and they seem to always be old and dusty.

Reactions: Newdude
Sometimes they move it around to weird displays but usually it’s hit or miss in my experience

Ace hardware carries pool chlorine - you might try there.

I hate Walmart. I’ve gone to two today and both are completely out of liquid pool chlorine. Makes me remember why I avoid this store whenever possible.
That's why I order it from Walmart.com because I don't have to go to that store. I also don't have to risk wasting my time if it is out of stock at the store because ordering it online will find one of the 12 stores in my area which has it in stock. The store it normally gets delivered from is a 30 minute drive away so only having to purchase $35 worth at a time is definitely worth it. It normally gets delivered the day after I ordered it but if I order early in the morning, it sometimes comes that afternoon.

Reactions: edd189
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.