Is Jandy valve required for SWG set up?

alosito

Jun 24, 2019
Simi Valley, CA
I am considering installing Universal 40 for my 18,000-gallon pool. This is my current set-up, and as you can see, I don't have much space. @Newdude was nice enough to suggest to go vertical when instaling an SWG, but when I shared this idea with the guy who installed the filter for me, he said that I needed to add a Jandy valve to protect the filter. Is this correct? If so, what Jandy valve would you recommend and where should I be adding it in the suggested set-up?

IMG_5961.jpg

IMG_5962.jpg

salt.jpg

he said that I needed to add a Jandy valve to protect the filter. Is this correct?
He likely meant a check valve and it's not needed. Many in the industry treat SWGs like tab feeders that will leak acid upstream. The SWG shuts off with the flow and doesn't continue to produce anything whereas the tabs keep dissolving in a tab feeder. . My own GC with 30+ years argued with me for 10 mins about it. He couldn't give me one valid reason why I needed it besides that I needed it.

Reactions: DavidArmenB
I am considering installing Universal 40 for my 18,000-gallon pool. This is my current set-up, and as you can see, I don't have much space. @Newdude was nice enough to suggest to go vertical when instaling an SWG, but when I shared this idea with the guy who installed the filter for me, he said that I needed to add a Jandy valve to protect the filter. Is this correct? If so, what Jandy valve would you recommend and where should I be adding it in the suggested set-up?

View attachment 519504

View attachment 519505

View attachment 519507
Some SWG manufacturers require them in the installation instructions. Universal 40 = Hayward Aqua Rite clone. The instructions for the Universal 40 show a check valve in the plumbing diagram but there is no mention of it in the instructions. It is virtually a copy of Hayward's manual, which doesn't show it in a diagram or mention it. No check valve needed.

FWIW, adding a check valve is not going to cost much and might give you a bit of peace of mind. I have one before my SWGs and after my heater (and filter)... As in Filter -> Heater -> Check valve -> 2 SWGs in Parallel -> MA Injection -> Returns . But as others have said, not a requirement in your setup. (In hindsight, I should probably have put the check valve between the parallel SWGs and the MA injection).

Ok, no Jandy valve then. Thanks! Should I add a flow switch to the suggested set-up?
Your SWCG will include a flow switch. I dont know about others but Pentair has the flow switch inside the housing and the Hayward has a separate flow switch on a tee pvc that will need to be plumbed in.

In pondering this for my install, Jandy recommends installing the check valve in a vertical pipe, so the weight of water trying to backflow helps seal it shut. That can be a problem in some installs. And it dawned on me, the SWCG should not be running if the pump isn't running, so there would be very little (except water) to backflow into the heater, anyway. So make sure it is wired to turn off if the pump turns off. Finally, for the odd cases where no water is being pumped by the running pump, they all have a flow switch that turns them off if nothing flowing. So again, little to get to the heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.