Is it worth replacing traditional eyeball returns to another?

dannieboiz

Jan 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
I got only 2 returns in my IG pool. I feel like the circulation can use some improvements. I see things like venturi jets and circulator rotating jets etc. Curious on if it's going to improve circulation. Is there one that you'd recommend?

Dannie,

Marketing is a wonderful thing.. It can make the most useless things sell like hot cakes.. :mrgreen:

I really doubt it will make any difference.

Reducing the size of the eyeball will increase the pressure.. kind of like putting your finger over the end of a garden hose.

I have a 15K rent house pool that only has two returns, and it has been working fine for well over 12 years.. While you do need some circulation it is not the fix for 95% of pool issues.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Dannie,

Marketing is a wonderful thing.. It can make the most useless things sell like hot cakes.. :mrgreen:

I really doubt it will make any difference.

Reducing the size of the eyeball will increase the pressure.. kind of like putting your finger over the end of a garden hose.

I have a 15K rent house pool that only has two returns, and it has been working fine for well over 12 years.. While you do need some circulation it is not the fix for 95% of pool issues.

Thanks,

Jim R.
This pool happens to be at my Airbnb, there are areas that always collect debris and the steps area are always proned to algae. If you noticed my deep end is really dirty only after a few days of vacuuming and also on the floor to the left of the pool where the jets are positioned. Was hoping there's a magic eyeball that can help with this. Guests who are not familiar with pool maintenance expect the floors to be debris free all the time. When I'm there, the robot vacuum takes care of it but I'm not about to leave a 1300 pool cleaner out for the guest to damage.

1697737292134.png

Dannie,

Nothing you said changes my advice, but you can't hurt anything by trying...

Does your skimmer have a working weir door??

How are your valves configured? I'd run with my skimmer as open as possible, and with the main drain either off or only open 10%.

I have a couple of rent house pools, and they both have low voltage Robots.. Different from an AirBnB, for sure, but I consider robots tools and business expenses. I also don't spend $1,300 on my robots.

I don't see any option that will keep your pool floor constantly clean other than some type of pool cleaner. Or, maybe you can pay some kid to come over and clean it each day.

Thanks,

Jim R.

no worries Jim, not trying to have you convince me otherwise, you already had. Weir doors and everything works fine. I might just need to run my pump at higher speed for longer periods. At the moment, I run my pump at full speed for 3 hours a day the remaining 4 hours the pump are at the minimum to keep the heater going if I needed to turn it on. Pool guy comes 2x a week during the swimming seaons and 1x a week during the fall/winter.

I have three returns and a skimmer - I found that even with an eyeball, where the first return (bottom right) came back into the pool, it pushed almost directly to the skimmer on the opposite side. This resulted in the pool being considerably cooler than the heater set-point (as much as 10F), as the heater kept seeing it's own warm water coming back. At best, I could get maybe 30 degrees from the eyeball, and that was enough that the other two were still pushing most of the warm water back toward the skimmer...

flow-1.jpg

I replaced the eyeballs with some 90 degree elbows, and the resulting flow was much more efficient, and the deep end of the pool (left) was measurably warmer and closer to the heater set-point.

flow-2.jpg

Yes, it increased the backpressure a little, but overall, we see way better skimming function, and much more consistent temperatures across the pool. My 90s came with my PoolDevil sock-skimmers, but I'm sure there are dozens of similar items that you could use

1697743701131.png

Reactions: Newdude
you got me thinking now... I have an existing output that used to be for the pool cleaner. This is closer to the skimmer. Perhaps putting an elbow to this and plumbing it to the pool return can add a little flow that pushes the debris towards the skimmer.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Dannie,

All three of my pools have 3 HP IntelliFlo VS pumps that run 24/7, mostly at 1200 RPM as I have no heater. I really like idea of making a little chlorine all the time, and skimming all the time... To do that costs me less than $20 bucks a month. I would vote for longer and slower, rather than shorter and faster run times.

I agree with SJ, that making the water move in a swirling fashion, like a flushing toilet bowl, is the best approach.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.