Is it unsafe to swim in higher chlorine levels?

Jun 13, 2015
Clinton, Utah
Is it unsafe to swim in chlorine levels or 22.5 when your target is usually between 7-9?
We SLAMed the pool because of Algea and there was still a little in there when I went out in the morning, so I put another gallon bleach in. The kids are itching to swim now that we are in the clear, but the chlorine levels are still in the 20’s.

5000 gallon Coleman 16’x48”
Intex Sand pump
Manually chlorinated with household bleach

Depends on your current CYA level. Take a look at the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] and find where your pool is and current CYA. As long as your FC does not exceed the SLAM/Shock level for your current CYA the water is safe.

Remember for a SLAM it's a continual process and not just a one-time dumping of chlorine/bleach. Always use the PoolMath to confirm dosage amounts. Maintain the FC level until you pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Just wanted to reemphasize that one. Have a good day.

CYA is at 60. I used Pool Math and it said 24 was shock level. There wasn’t a ton of algea in there, and after the 1st gallon bleach, when I checked in the morning, there was zero chlorine but the water still looked a bit green, so I did one more gallon. I probably shouldn’t have used an entire gallon maybe because my chlorine levels were at 50[emoji51]. Now this morning they are at 22.5, so I’m not sure if I should wait or if I need to keep SLAMING? 50 to 22.5 is more than 1ppm, but it was also way over what it should have been for SLAM.

Intex Sand pump

Read the SLAM Process article. Three criteria for a successful SLAM. Maintain your SLAM level FC every couple hours by testing your FC and adding LC to raise FC back to SLAM level.

I did read the article and performed the SLAM like I was supposed to, but i guess what I am trying to ask is, if I accidentally got my SLAM levels too high by adding that additional gallon of bleach to finish off the tiny bit of tinge that was left in the water (see above), and the levels went from 50 to 22.5, would that mean I still need to SLAM since it came down more than 1ppm, or is it okay since the chlorine level was over the SLAM level in the first place? My water is crystal clear and no more signs of algea in the water....

Intex Sand pump

I know I failed it. That’s why I SLAMed again...my chlorine was at 0 the morning after the SLAM, but the water was still tinged green. I used the calculator based on my current Chlorine levels and CYA and it said to add a gallon of bleach, but the gallon of bleach shot my FC Levels up to 50. So, now I’m on day 3 and I woke up this morning and tested my levels and they are at 22.5. So, I’m trying to figure out now, if I need to continue slamming or let the chlorine levels come down. Sorry, if not explaining this very well. [emoji85]

Intex Sand pump

Since your CYA seems to be at 60, you can now maintain your FC at "24" which is the proper SLAM level. Everyone can swim as long as the FC doesn't go over 24. Do your best to maintain that FC level until you pass all 3 criteria once again and you should be fine. For the kids who swim today, give them each a brush and let them do some scrubbing for you. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it unsafe to swim in chlorine levels or 22.5 when your target is usually between 7-9?
We SLAMed the pool because of Algea and there was still a little in there when I went out in the morning, so I put another gallon bleach in. The kids are itching to swim now that we are in the clear, but the chlorine levels are still in the 20’s.

Intex Sand pump
I didn't think you were supposed to use household bleach... It will bleach bathing suits towels ect.

I didn't think you were supposed to use household bleach... It will bleach bathing suits towels ect.
When dumped in the washer - perhaps. In a pool with stabilizer (CYA) and balanced as noted on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], no. Not unless someone was to really exceed their SLAM/Shock level on that chart. Remember, household bleach is simply "sodium hypochlorite", the same ingredient as liquid shock AKA pool chlorine.

Household bleach and liquid chlorine contain the same active ingredient, sodium hypochlorite. The difference is that the product labeled as bleach is typically less concentrated than the product labeled as liquid chlorine. Other than concentration, it is literally the same thing.
Used at the proper amounts, it wont “bleach” anything.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.