Is It SafeTo Swim

Just did TA twice but didn't get the results I got yesterday. Pool sample is a day old now. 25ml + 3 drops R-0007+ 5 drops
R-008 +7 drops R-0009 when the bluish color turned gold colored. The R-0008 caused a bluish and not green color and it took till drop 7 for it to turn but it wasn't sudden but more like a continuous gradual change. Do you think a fresh water sample will have different outcome.

I would not think it would. A TA of 70. The bulk of that is cyanurate alkalinity.

Not sure what you should do. Hopefully Matt will chime in.

Reactions: wireform
Sorry, my other hot water heater died and flooded out the garage. I’ve been dealing with that fiasco since 4pm. Yay!!! More money to spend on household appliances :rant::drown:

Anyway, your pH is 6.8. Your FC is still insanely high because the TA test is starting off blue when it should be green and then turning gold when it should be red. It’s not super accurate when it does that but your TA is close to 70ppm and, as the Marty-BOT replied, it’s mostly cyanurate.

The pool water is BAD. It needs to go. I stand by my earlier statement that this pool is a disaster waiting to happen. I’d tell the homeowner that the only rational choice is to completely drain and refill and be prepared for equipment to fail from the corrosive pool water damage. I’d basically tell them that Incan help but will take no responsibility for any failed equipment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hootz and Newdude
Update:
Pool was drained 90% as I figured the 10% will mix well with the new water. Pool is almost full with municipality water eventhough they also have a well which I wasn't ready to take chances with and start a metals problem. I'm still in the convincing stage for SWCG but for now they want to continue the chlorinator route but we will be overly cautious for good reason. Is there a cal-hypo alternative in puck form that i could place in a floater. What protocol do I need to follow meaning am I relying on the stabilizer in the stabilized pucks or am I bumping it up a bit and then monitor. This is a old gunnite pool that will need a renovation in a year or two.

They do make cal hypo pucks. They leave a gooey mess when dissolved. Best to use liquid chlorine.
Test and add stabilizer to get to 30 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.