Is it possible to turn off one skimmer only?

Sbp003

May 19, 2023
Leander, TX
Hello. I have active 2 skimmers in my pool, one however is leaking water and causing complications with the concrete.

Is it possible to shut off the problematic skimmer for the time beating so that it does not return water through the line and thereby eventually reducing the water leaking in the area? How can this be achieved?

With my system I can just shut the valve to it. If you don't have a separate valve then you could put the winterizing plug in. Be careful not to shut all flow to the pump while it's running as you can damage your plumbing with the suction most pumps are capable of. I assume you have another skimmer plus a floor drain?

I'll guess @Sbp003 doesn't winterize in Leander and so doesn't have plugs.

I don't winterize, either. I like Gizzmos to plug my skimmers when necessary. I don't have to reach all the way down when the water is cold. But of course regular plugs are cheaper.

With my system I can just shut the valve to it. If you don't have a separate valve then you could put the winterizing plug in. Be careful not to shut all flow to the pump while it's running as you can damage your plumbing with the suction most pumps are capable of. I assume you have another skimmer plus a floor drain?
Yes. I have another skimmer and main drain, so good there. Okay, I do have a valve at the equipment as well. Question, if I turn off the skimmer valve at the equipment, there will still be water in that line leading up to it, how do I get that skimmer line empty and then fully turned off? Is it as simple as just plugging at the skimmer with valve at equipment on so all the water is suctioned of into the pump and that’s it?

I'll guess @Sbp003 doesn't winterize in Leander and so doesn't have plugs.

I don't winterize, either. I like Gizzmos to plug my skimmers when necessary. I don't have to reach all the way down when the water is cold. But of course regular plugs are cheaper.
Correct, I don’t winterize and hence the questions. My main objective is to get the skimmer line completely empty of water and plugged off.

Yes. I have another skimmer and main drain, so good there. Okay, I do have a valve at the equipment as well. Question, if I turn off the skimmer valve at the equipment, there will still be water in that line leading up to it, how do I get that skimmer line empty and then fully turned off? Is it as simple as just plugging at the skimmer with valve at equipment on so all the water is suctioned of into the pump and that’s it?

You'll never get the line empty unless you blow it out from the pump end and shut both sides before any water can get back in. I also would not trust that valve to 100% shut water to the skimmer even in the off position. I don't think I would worry about it anyway. Yeah the water will get a little stagnant in the line but I am not seeing a solution to that. I suppose you could crack it every once in awhile to flush the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.