Is it possible to do poured-in-place concrete pool coping that is flush (zero overhang) with waterline tile?

TonyTone

Sep 24, 2018
Dallas TX
adding a rough “inspiration” sketch and an actual photos of my odd shaped old pool.

Is it possible to have concrete pool coping flush with waterline tile? If so, what’s the best way to do it?

if not, what are some better options? my pool builder/remodeler has mentioned lueders stone, and precast concrete.

just looking for options to give the most seamless look possible, that matches the decking we want to do (large poured concrete “pavers”). we’re about to drop a lot of money and we’re pretty far from loaded. so we’re nervous about making a mistake.

lemme know what you think! and thank you!

529FD418-447B-4414-B29F-34600E9AF299.jpeg3531F775-5879-409D-98AC-B054D76AD205.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well hello there! What an interesting shape for a pool! I would LOVE to know the depth profile of this pool. How deep is the bowl? What about the shallow part and the area between the two.

Okay so on to your question. I want to make sure we understand what you are saying:
What I think your picture shows is a small strip of concrete around the edge of the pool with "pavers" set into grass around the pool as decking.

Will the grass be real grass?

The "pavers"-will they be premade or poured into forms in place?

What I think you are asking is if the small strip of coping around the edge of the pool can be poured/made so it does not hang over the pool at all. How wide are you wanting to make the coping?

I am also going to invite @ajw22 as he has a wonderful way of showing how the decking should meet the pool wall.

Let me know if I got what you want correct.

Kim :kim:

Reactions: TonyTone
The thing you have to be understand is that pool plaster, tiling, decking is a hand crafted process. There are no perfectly straight lines or joints. The question then becomes how do you hide very small inconsistencies? Pouring a concrete coping so it’s “perfectly flush” with the tile is possible, but you’ll get slight inconsistencies where the coping doesn’t cover the tile at all and other places where it overhangs. Lots of cantilever coping is close to flush where it meets the tile and then extends past it just a bit to hide inconsistencies in the tile placement. There’s no reason it has to overhang more than that. The issue will be finding forms that give you the overhang you want. Mine overhangs a total of maybe an inch. Just make sure there’s an expansion joint as mentioned above.

@kimkats hello! it's a weird one, right?

I'll attach a rough 3d scan i made with the polycam app. depth is maybe 8.5' in the deep end, with a steep incline up to maybe 3.5' in the shallow end.

Okay so on to your question. I want to make sure we understand what you are saying:
Absolutely, I'll do my best, but this is not my world, so I'm sure i'll beef the terminology.

What I think your picture shows is a small strip of concrete around the edge of the pool with "pavers" set into grass around the pool as decking.
Will the grass be real grass?
Exactly right! Something like these examples:
447c178457eba8626191e7285dc9f63d.jpg
e14621e85da6f1012fea773e6c031c6d.jpg

The usual install here is artificial turf i believe, but we may try a nice natural groundcover like micro clover or thyme first, before throwing down the plastic turf option.

The "pavers"-will they be premade or poured into forms in place?
The most economical option, with the "customness" we'll need, seems to be poured in place forms. That's why we want the coping done at the same time—to match and potentially stain and get roughly the same look on both "pavers" and coping.

What I think you are asking is if the small strip of coping around the edge of the pool can be poured/made so it does not hang over the pool at all. How wide are you wanting to make the coping?
Again, exactly right! Coping width—maybe 12" or so? Give or take.

I am also going to invite @ajw22 as he has a wonderful way of showing how the decking should meet the pool wall.
Nice to make your acquaintance @ajw22 ! I can tell you guys are heavy hitters around here. Appreciate you taking a look at my noob questions!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 3.39.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-25 at 3.39.26 PM.png
    457.4 KB · Views: 20
Grass-if you go live plants your feet will bring stuff into the pool. Then if you try to "mow" or trim it you risk throw stuff into the water.

Coping- IF your guy that is doing the work is VERY skilled he MIGHT be able to form and pour your coping like you want. BUT he must follow the guidelines laided out by Allen. The reason is you want the pool and coping to be able to move independent of each other.

Another idea is for them to use pavers. Again the skill level will need to be high in making the cuts. Especially the curves!

Ask to go see some of his past work.

These examples are cantilevered coping with one pour for deck and coping which is not the design you are doing...

699e337eb067ba50a47f15c5eb606398.jpg

8e2403904febf95df1de93a6409eb79f.jpg

This looks like large format stone cantilevered over the bond beam...

5e833f67d9be9b561508983b1b97076c.jpg

These two look like coping stones on top of the bond beam which is what you should do...

5087772bfe7c66a60404c2c9cda3c4bd.jpg

fce39fb6c7da606d30d171b60a1a0fc4.jpg

I think all of those have an overhang of an inch or so on the inside of the pool. You just can't see it from the angle of the picture.

I think you should find a stone that you like for coping. Or look at precast coping. They will give you the predictable look that you choose.

Poured concrete in forms vary widely in quality. There is no guaranteeing what you will get when the forms come off. And poured concrete is the most prone to cracking.

Some builders do coping and then put the tile on. Others do tile then coping. You can discuss with the builder and mason how little overhang he can give you when laying the coping stones.

With soil and no concrete or deck butting against the coping you do not need an expansion joint.

My personal opinion is while your design with grass or ground cover along the sides of the pool looks cool it will be high maintenance. You will get dirt and clippings in the pool. Mowing or trimming those strips will be a pain. And plantings so close to a pool can be an algae factory feeding the pool water. Do artificial turf for the look and lower maintenance.

Last edited:
@ajw22 this is amazing context and explanation. thank you all for much better arming me for the convos with my builder. i’ll try to remember to post an update here with how those talks go and what i end up going with. maybe someone out there will be able to use a followup.

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.