Is it motor or pump making noise?

MamaC4

May 7, 2020
Dover, MA
Our pool company (I have them open and close) just opened our 35K pool to have an old auto cover removed, wall rebuilt, and pebble finish installed. It's about day 4, so pump is running 24/7 to filter as I brush 2x daily, etc. (my questions on this process are for another post!) etc. Unfortunately, my motor (or pump itself?) is making an AWFUL, constant noise, like a coffee grinder and it's getting louder. Pool equipment is not near house but I can hear it through open windows. It started sounding like this last year too, not as bad, but then sat from Sept-now until being turned on again and I believe motor was seized and needed some work before it started up. Filter seems to be doing ok, normal psi.

Is this the motor (only a few years old) or the pump (we've been here 6 years and my guess is that it's much older)? How do I tell? I'd be asking pool company to replace as I'm handy for routine mainenance but not this!

Sounds like bad bearings in the motor.

What model pump and motor are we discussing?

Post pics of your pump and motor.

Yes, it IS quiet. It was just installed this morning, and I freaked out when it went into the default program running at 50% and my filter psi was about 2-4. I've since scanned the handy QR code on the new motor and am getting educated on the new settings and how to program. All ears if you have suggestions on that. I've manually overriden it for the next 3 hrs so it's running a bit higher (I need some good circulation after sitting for 2 days with no pump).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.