Is it even worth considering an in-ground vinyl?

May 31, 2014
Wentzville, MO
My wife and I are pretty upset that we lost our old fiberglass pool. Due to that we currently have been looking around and are fairly restricted on what we want to spend. It seems like vinyl is the cheapest way to go. But I know you can end up paying for it due to liner costs down the road.

I have a few questions though, first off does anyone have one? Secondly if so how much money did you end up saving, and lastly how long do modern liners usually last (if not damaged)?

I read that they aren't considered "permanent" structures, so they can lower home value. But I don't plan on selling for many years.
Any opinions?

Hey Ale !!! My soon to be vinyl build is a hair over $40k for a large 20x40. (No patio, outdoor kitchens, landscaping etc). A smaller Gunite pool would have doubled that.

With proper chemistry a quality liner can should last 10-12 years and can go 15+. It’s $5k to $7k to replace for most pools.

Gunite can last twice as long but cost twice as much and then some to refinish. At best the two will equal themselves in long term maintenance but the vinyl usually wins.

My vinyl pool will have concrete walls with a sand floor, similar to my house foundation. The floor can also be vermiculite which is mixed and troweled smooth and hand very similar properties to concrete, just not quite as hard. Anywho, it’s as permanent as it gets and archeologists will find the shell one day.

Fiberglass is a great in between but has limits to the sizes and depths. It is also very expensive to refinish down the road when it loses its shine.

Most folks swear by what they are used to. Or they had a bad experience with one so they tried another. It’s very VERY subjective.

Reactions: WP3
While I don't like the thought of spending 7-8k every 10-15 years it's nice to be able to give the pool a facelift every so often.

While I don't like the thought of spending 7-8k every 10-15 years it's nice to be able to give the pool a facelift every so often
Yours should be closer to the $5k at current pricing. The stairs might make it ‘custom’ measured and fit, but it’s not a ginormous 50k gallon pool warranting the higher cost.

And this is our *exact* thought at the moment. Our old beloved liner has been discontinued so we have to settle on something kinda close. I keep saying we only have to deal with it for 10 years :ROFLMAO:

• Love
Reactions: Snoobug
Hey Ale !!! My soon to be vinyl build is a hair over $40k for a large 20x40. (No patio, outdoor kitchens, landscaping etc). A smaller Gunite pool would have doubled that.
You got a great deal! Our 18x36 was $75k including the autocover ($16k), a slide ($4500) and 3 deck jets. We do have custom steps. I really wanted a sunshelf but that was going to be another 5-10k.

Reactions: newdude
we contacted my pool builder because he specializes in FG pools - however after doing the math i could get 3 liners for free just on the difference in price for the same size pool. Also, i can make repairs to the pool during the liner replacement process, whereas if a FG pool cracks or has a major defect, the repair costs appeared to be prohibitive to me when I was doing all the math. So based on total cost of ownership over 30 years with risk associated to worst case scenario, vinyl won out for us.

My 18x36 rectangle vinyl pool with heat pump, VSP and SWCG with hard bottom was $45K including electric, and excluding landscaping and hardscaping - i dropped another $4k on doing the stone coping myself and plan on doing a paver patio myself as well.

My wife and I are pretty upset that we lost our old fiberglass pool. Due to that we currently have been looking around and are fairly restricted on what we want to spend. It seems like vinyl is the cheapest way to go. But I know you can end up paying for it due to liner costs down the road.

I have a few questions though, first off does anyone have one? Secondly if so how much money did you end up saving, and lastly how long do modern liners usually last (if not damaged)?

I read that they aren't considered "permanent" structures, so they can lower home value. But I don't plan on selling for many years.
Any opinions?
May I ask what happened to your fiberglass pool?

Reactions: sarahgelatinano

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
May I ask what happened to your fiberglass pool?

It's a long story (seriously) with a lot of trials and tribulations. It all started several years back during a record breaking rainy period during December. That week I had so much water saturation that I sunk into the yard when I walked. My yard also "shifted" down hill some, which was enough to tilt the pump station. Keep in mind also that I don't live in a flood plain, and my yard had never had drainage issues previously. But there just wasn't anywhere the water could go and a "pond" appeared between my yard and the neighbors. This situation ended up causing so much pressure on my shell that it tried to float, the concrete decking held it down but it bulged the walls and bottom enough to cause a crack. And this crack wasn't noticed until I opened in the spring (nice surprise).

At this point I called a fiberglass company to look at the crack and got quoted about 2700 to repair it. I couldn't afford it so I "learned" how to fiberglass. I ended up draining it during a dry hot period (90s) and actually did a good job repairing it.

Once filled it up I fired the pump on and got a ton of bubbles from my jets and my pump wouldn't fully prime... So I had a leak detection company come out. They heard leaks in several places on both sides. SO... I paid a company to come remove five foot of decking around the entire pool as well as to the pump. I hand dug a two x three foot trench around it to expose all of the pipes (midwest in July). And proceeded to run all new pipes myself. The issue after that was I did not have the money to re-pour the patio. So when closing I blew out the jets and topped off the pool and tossed a sump in the low end of the trench, and proceeded to cross my fingers. Luckily the next spring (year ago) I opened it to find it intact. I still didn't have the money to re-pour my patio but I had a massive mud pit around the pool. So I ordered in 20,000lbs of rock and moved it via a cart from the street to the back of my house. It took days and once again it was 90 degrees. BUT it actually didn't look bad and solved the mud / wasp and weeds problem. So we enjoyed the pool all summer.

Closed it again the same way. Fast forward to this year and a few months ago my daughter her a loud noise over night in the backyard. When I woke up I looked out back and... the pool had floated two feet into the air. Turns out a new small crack formed in the wall over winter in one of the walls. So I assume after a dry period it slowly drained the pool. Once the spring rains hit... you get the idea.

SO... here we are. My pool luckily is about 21 years old now and needed re-coated but my kids and wife are fairly upset. Not to mention all those grueling hours in the sun were for nothing. We want a new one but as always we are on a tighter budget, but in a better financial position... AKA I could've poured concrete this year. So I am trying to find the cheapest way to get a new pool, possibly for next year (every place is booked up now). So I looked at all of the options and came across the more "budget" option (vinyl).

That's the story, it's always long winded when someone asks.... LOL

• Wow
Reactions: Oly
It's a long story (seriously) with a lot of trials and tribulations. It all started several years back during a record breaking rainy period during December. That week I had so much water saturation that I sunk into the yard when I walked. My yard also "shifted" down hill some, which was enough to tilt the pump station. Keep in mind also that I don't live in a flood plain, and my yard had never had drainage issues previously. But there just wasn't anywhere the water could go and a "pond" appeared between my yard and the neighbors. This situation ended up causing so much pressure on my shell that it tried to float, the concrete decking held it down but it bulged the walls and bottom enough to cause a crack. And this crack wasn't noticed until I opened in the spring (nice surprise).

At this point I called a fiberglass company to look at the crack and got quoted about 2700 to repair it. I couldn't afford it so I "learned" how to fiberglass. I ended up draining it during a dry hot period (90s) and actually did a good job repairing it.

Once filled it up I fired the pump on and got a ton of bubbles from my jets and my pump wouldn't fully prime... So I had a leak detection company come out. They heard leaks in several places on both sides. SO... I paid a company to come remove five foot of decking around the entire pool as well as to the pump. I hand dug a two x three foot trench around it to expose all of the pipes (midwest in July). And proceeded to run all new pipes myself. The issue after that was I did not have the money to re-pour the patio. So when closing I blew out the jets and topped off the pool and tossed a sump in the low end of the trench, and proceeded to cross my fingers. Luckily the next spring (year ago) I opened it to find it intact. I still didn't have the money to re-pour my patio but I had a massive mud pit around the pool. So I ordered in 20,000lbs of rock and moved it via a cart from the street to the back of my house. It took days and once again it was 90 degrees. BUT it actually didn't look bad and solved the mud / wasp and weeds problem. So we enjoyed the pool all summer.

Closed it again the same way. Fast forward to this year and a few months ago my daughter her a loud noise over night in the backyard. When I woke up I looked out back and... the pool had floated two feet into the air. Turns out a new small crack formed in the wall over winter in one of the walls. So I assume after a dry period it slowly drained the pool. Once the spring rains hit... you get the idea.

SO... here we are. My pool luckily is about 21 years old now and needed re-coated but my kids and wife are fairly upset. Not to mention all those grueling hours in the sun were for nothing. We want a new one but as always we are on a tighter budget, but in a better financial position... AKA I could've poured concrete this year. So I am trying to find the cheapest way to get a new pool, possibly for next year (every place is booked up now). So I looked at all of the options and came across the more "budget" option (vinyl).

That's the story, it's always long winded when someone asks.... LOL
I am so sorry to hear that. The fiberglass pools look awesome and I've always wanted to swim in one. I like the feel of vinyl (which is probably similar to fg).
Are you able to diy the vinyl? It seems like you are quite savvy in this area!

Reactions: borjis and Aleforge
I am so sorry to hear that. The fiberglass pools look awesome and I've always wanted to swim in one. I like the feel of vinyl (which is probably similar to fg).
Are you able to diy the vinyl? It seems like you are quite savvy in this area!

They are pretty great in all honesty. But if I had a vinyl (and maybe I am wrong) I think it might've been easier to fix. Or at least possible. The shell got all screwed up and needs replaced which I got quoted around 10k just to remove and fill it. I watched some professional install videos but that was all. The one thing I have going for me is a giant hole already exists lol.

Good grief Aleforge! That's a heck of a story!

We are on Season 8 with our in ground vinyl liner pool. Very pleased with choosing vinyl over concrete or fiberglass. Vinyl is easy on the feet!

They look way nicer than I had originally thought. I always assumed they would look cheap. But you can't even tell. It's for sure starting to look like due to my budget a good choice.

It’s truely subjective of course, so feel free to disagree, but I recommend not getting a border pattern if you go vinyl. To me they came around in the 80s as a way to make the vinyl pools look fancy like the gunite pools, and in itself make them look tacky by trying too hard.

We picked our liner because we liked it, not to cover up the exposed part with seashells or Aztec designs.

It’s truely subjective of course, so feel free to disagree, but I recommend not getting a border pattern if you go vinyl. To me they came around in the 80s as a way to make the vinyl pools look fancy like the gunite pools, and in itself make them look tacky by trying too hard.

We picked our liner because we liked it, not to cover up the exposed part with seashells or Aztec designs.

Thanks for the tip! I looked at a bunch of options and of course the border designs are more expensive. You can't tell via a photo the quality.

It sounds like vinyl might be perfect for you...another fiberglass or gunite pool with a completely rigid shell is going to fail in the same way. A vinyl pool has a little flexibility where the walls can flex and even if the floor cracks the liner will keep the water in.

The above fact and much lower cost of vinyl is why I would never consider any other type of pool...at least not up north where I live. I understand in the south the ground is more reliable and gunite pools are much cheaper, but up here i'd be paying 3x the cost for gunite, only to pay 50% again in 15-20 years to repair and replaster the shell.

I ordered a border one but wish I hadn't. Guess I'll just have a retro pool for the next 10-15 years. 🤣

We didn’t have gunite pools growing up here. The only places that had them were public pools. To this day I think I’m in a Howard Johnson’s pool, With all the nasty feels and smells, (I have never forgot those) if I’m in one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.