is a pressure reading of 0 OK?

pisstol27

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 25, 2012
Smithtown, NY (Long Island)
I got a new Hayward DE filter, variable speed pump and multiport valve installed last year. The pressure has never gone above 8, which was when the pool was just opened and a swamp. Recently, it has been hovering around 4 but I kept getting a FLO error on my heater while the pump was on indicating no or poor water circulation. With the PSI reading so low I didn't think the filter needed a backwash but tried it anyway before calling the pool company (It had been about a month since I last backwashed, but my pool stays pretty clean and I use robot so I don't vacuum to the filter). After backwashing the PSI has been on 0. Everything seems to working fine and I have not had the FLO error so far. So should I be concerned about the 0 PSI reading? Also, how often should I normally bleed the air valve? I usually do it a few times a week. Thanks!

Did you recharge the filter with DE powder after you backwashed it? It won't really filter anything without the powder so it probably would build little if any pressure. It may ruin the filter elements without powder coating them, my manual says not to run at all without powder.

A pressure reading of zero while the pump is running likely means the gauge is bad. Where in the system is your pressure gauge?

Normally, you shouldn't have to bleed air from the system on a routine basis. That begs the question, how is that much air getting in there? Does your pump basket usually have air in it? Try lubing the pump basket o-ring to see if that helps.
I rarely have to bleed air.

3 simple solutions:

Did you add DE after backwashing?

Are you running on a very low speed? Try turning up your pump's rpm. What looks like zero on a pressure gauge could be 1 or 2, especially if you're using a gauge that goes all the way up to 60 psi. Is there water coming out of the returns?

Faulty pressure gauge.

If it's none of the above, it's probably more complicated...

Thanks for the replies. I did add DE after backwashing and the pump runs at 3,000 rpm so it is not very low. The returns are working fine, after running the pump for 10 straight hours I am still experiencing good flow out of them. If it wasn't for the low pressure reading, I would think everything was working just as it should. I don't know when you are supposed to bleed the air valve, I just do it while I go back there right before the pump goes on. How can you tell if there is air in the pump basket. While the pump is on, I don't see any bubbles.

For air in the pump basket, you would either see bubbles or water sloshing around. It would be fairly obvious.

How often does air come out of the bleed valve when you open it? How much air comes out each time? Air in the system isn't normal. I The need to bleed it daily isn't normal either. It's possible that one of the O-rings for the bleed valve or the pressure gauge isn't sealing properly and when you shut the pump off, the filter drains a bit and fills up with air. Possibly the bleed valve itself. The only other way to get air in your system is through the pump and you say the basket is full of water and not air. I assume the top of your filter is above pool water level, correct? Is there ever any water leaking out from the top of your filter?

Based on your description above, it sounds like you are letting air in when you open the bleed valve with the pump off. If the top of the filter is above the pool water level, then water will drain out (and let air in) if you open the bleed valve. The pump doesn't produce pressure while it's off so there's nothing to act against gravity.
Only open the bleed valve with the pump running unless you are trying to drain the filter. See if that fixed you issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.