dash

May 14, 2017
Tempe, Arizona
I've been battling pipe leakage for about 2 years, and I've had multiple people recommend replacing my pump. I believe a variable speed pump (of some type) would improve things (water lose & electrical usage), and with it's installation- install new pipes and connectors.

I'm looking for some general recommendations for a new pump for my pool.

Here's a short video showing my pool pipe leaking- while the pump is NOT running.

You don't need to replace the pump but the motor with a VS motor and controller. Call the inyo guys to get the correct one. Or spend more money and get a VS motor/pump.

Reactions: dash
Those are great pumps and parts are still readily available. I would add a couple unions in there to stop the leak and make servicing it easier, but, unless your motor is having issues, it should not need to be replaced (unless you want the energy savings of a variable-speed motor). Let us know the model of the pump if you would like recommendations on a VS motor and new gaskets.

Reactions: Darin and dash
Those old Max/Dyna-E-Glas 1 pumps were excellent pumps. Not sure why yours has a Pac-Fab/Pentair Challenger pot lid.
Would be worth installing a variable-speed motor. What is the horsepower on the motor label?
As to the the leak, that's an easy fix. Best would be to install a 1.5"X1.5" Hi-Temp pump union. Very little cutting and gluing involved. They seal with an O ring.
1713555264526.png
Next best, and more gluing, is to cut 1/2" out of the CPVC nipple, remove it from the pump, re-wrap about 5 wraps of Teflon tape and then a light coating of silicone sealant over that. Reinstall using a 1/5" pool union (picture is a 2").
1713555390604.png

Reactions: dash