Does the Iron eventually filter out or do you have to keep adding sequestrant? I just had liner replaced and when I refilled pool it is clear yellow/green so from what I am reading I feel pretty sure I have Iron but I would like to get rid of it and not have to keep adding a new chem.

If it precipitates out of the water and turns the water brown then it can be filtered out. If it stays in solution in the water making the wtaer green then it can't be filtered out. More here, Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

It is currently brownish since I have added a good bit of bleach. Will my sand filter eventually get it out or do I need to add something to make it clump together more. I have been reading several conflicting things about getting iron out of pool water. My liner is brand new and I would hate to stain everything.

I used HTH Metal And Stain Defense Monday night and Tuesday it was crystal clear. There was much rejoicing by the family. I was interested to see how long it would stay that way before I had to add more of it. I got my answer pretty fast. Yesterday afternoon (Wednesday) it is rust colored again.

I sure am not going to keep feeding it product for this to happen.

Does anyone know if that is normal or if there is something I did wrong for such a product? I made sure my chemicals were within spec of what the bottle called for.

I'm leaning toward filling my skimmer basket with poly fill and just trying to remove the rust.

Pre-filter & filter as much as you can. Every little bit of iron removal helps. Once you've exhausted filtering, you have two options - fill with fresh water or continue with a sequestrant. A good sequestrant breaks down slowly, so you do need to add more regularly. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic the Pink Stuff (regular), the Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and the Purple Stuff (SWG) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find other brands with similar products, some of which are noticeably less expensive. Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective.

Aside from that, try to keep the pH and FC as low as you can and that may help as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.