Introducing My New Thermometer Gadget

Yev

Jul 29, 2014
Independence, KY
I know that I cannot be alone in the category of pool owners who love gadgets. I wanted to share my newest gadget with everyone else. Let me introduce my new pool thermometer, an Outdoor Wireless Tag. I’m sure that very few of you will know that by name, so here comes the information.

Monitor and Find Everything from the Internet - Wireless Sensor Tags

Now some background. For some odd reason I like to know the temperature of my pool, which is odd since I don’t have a heater, and am 100% comfortable to swim in any water temp from 65 to 90 degrees. I have long wanted a way to check my pool temp from my phone, as well as the ability to log the temperature over time. The engineer in me likes to see data, and trends on how a warm spell or cold spell effects the overall pool temperature. Since I have no heater or pool automation, there seemed to be very few options. I did find some links to floating digital thermometers that could report their temperature over the web, but I read too many mixed reviews about the product. Plus I like to monitor water temp at about 18” deep in the water rather than the surface to get a better feel for overall water temperature.

The thermometer is basically a 1.5” by 4 inch long IP68 rated waterproof PVC tube with a sensor cable that is about 3 feet long (you can find ones much shorter or longer if you want). Since this device it not intended for 24x7 submerging, I had to find a way to mount the sensor out of the pool but within 2 feet of the pool so I could have the sensor in the water.

For my pool setup, there was no easy way to hide the white module since I don’t have a diving board, slide, wall right at the pool side. I considered mounting it to the underside of the skimmer lid, but though that could get complicated with the sensor hanging down in the skimmer basket. So for me, I decided to mount it onto my pool ladder (that no one uses) and then dangle the sensor down into the water, wrapping it around the ladder post to keep it in place. You can see it in mounted in these photos (disclaimer, with these photos, right next to the sensor is a skimmer net I keep mounted in my pool right now on the ladder to help with the ridiculous amount of pollen that I have, but this net has nothing to do with my sensor).

Some technical information. You need to get a tag and a DS18B20 probe which is $54 (a $15 off code until the end of June), and then an Ethernet Tag Manager ($51 with the power supply module). The ETM plugs into your router (unfortunately it itself Is not WiFi). The ETM and the probe need to be less than 100 feet away. From my testing, I am about 70 feet away and feel like I could get a little bit further.

I had an issue in my house, the internet router is nowhere near my pool, so I had to get a repeater.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JOFIBV6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This took me 2 minutes to set up, and the way that it works, is you plug it into an outlet in your house. It then connects to the WiFi in your house. It has a wired port on it, and I then plugged the ETM into that port. The advantage of the repeater is that it acts as a WiFi Booster in your house anyway, so now my WiFi is stronger out by the pool anyway for everyone.

So this might be more money than most people want to spend, I get that. But I am very happy with the results. You can see a graph of my pool temp for the short time that I have had it. I am getting ready to get a 2nd outdoor sensor, so I can overlay the outdoor temp at my house with the pool temp. The single ETM can manage up to 40 sensors. Not directly related, but adjacent, the wireless tags support IFTTT, so this can be handy for home automation people, especially if you add more sensors throughout your house.

I have no affiliation with this product or company, just wanted to share my new gadget with the TFP community.

I like it. I looked into some wireless options last year but the price kept me away. I'm like you with wanting to track things...As I type I can see a display telling me my room temp, outside temp and how hot it is in my attic. I had an idea to put a 3" soil dial thermometer in my pump lid and just had to try it. The downside is that it's accurate only if the pump is on.

I love gadgets. But I confess I have a fondness for my cheap rubber ducky thermometer!

That is such a cool gizmo! I use the Accurite floater and module, seems I'm replacing it every couple years, this is probably the next step for me.

Also Yev, while I can't argue that it allows the tags to connect and function, a WiFi repeater is one of the worst things you can get to make your home Wifi better, it absolutely kills your WiFI speed, it is the slowest/worst of all the options, you also may notice your entire WiFi system is slower because of it (WiFi is a shared medium and only goes as fast the slowest device).

That is such a cool gizmo! I use the Accurite floater and module, seems I'm replacing it every couple years, this is probably the next step for me.

Also Yev, while I can't argue that it allows the tags to connect and function, a WiFi repeater is one of the worst things you can get to make your home Wifi better, it absolutely kills your WiFI speed, it is the slowest/worst of all the options, you also may notice your entire WiFi system is slower because of it (WiFi is a shared medium and only goes as fast the slowest device).

So what can you use if you need a signal outdoors that won't kill speed?
I have wifi outside so I won't know how strong until I hook this up. I stream movies so slowing the wifi down isn't an option.

very cool thermometer! i love the graphing.

Alscrx... for a long time i used a pair of tp-link tl-pa4010 powerline adapters to get an ethernet connection out to my shed (i didn't want to use wifi)... i was also measuring temperature with a ds18b20, but mine was connected to an arduino running a bare-bones web server. powerline adapters seem to have fallen by the wayside but mine worked great

I've also used one of those tiny cheap wireless routers in client mode to allow an ethernet-only device (like your tag manager) to connect to wifi (it is not working as a repeater so it doesn't kill your bandwidth). i still use a tp-link wr702n i got for 15 bucks 7 years ago... it's wireless-n but there must be faster ac ones now.

So a few things from some recent comments/questions.

The time stamps are real time as actually taken. There is a graphing software built in, or you can download the data to a CSV.

As far as the network goes, I have 2 wireless networks running in my house. They are called Home and Home_Guest. Home is what everyone in my house uses for wifi. Home_guest is for guests to my house, as well as for my home automation such as this thermometer, and my WInk hub that controls all kinds of lighting and blinds on my house. Both networks operate on separate channels, and even separate frequencies, as the guests use the slower 2.4GHz while we use the 5GHz bands. By doing this I dont think that I am suffering from half duplex problems with normal repeater setups that slow down the wifi setup. Well, I suppose that I do have those issue, but they are limited to non-residents of my house, and I am OK if they are not thrilled if they get any Netflix buffering. But as my main network actually is based upon 802.11AC rather than 802.11n, I am now in full duplex mode on my main network, so I believe that this would not be an issue anyway if the repeater were also 802.11ac, but I might have that last part wrong.

I have added a second sensor to my setup, so I am now logging my pool temp as well as the outside temp. You can see the updated graph below. The only think that I dont like about the current outdoor temp is that it appears to be a bit less stable. I suspect it is because I have its sensor dangling in the air. I am going to attach that sensor to a small aluminum block which should stabilize it a bit more.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alscrx, anything using a gigabit ethernet cable (ie: network cable, Cat 5 or 6) is the best. It can be a high cost to install, but to many it's worth the cost). TFP promotes DIY, you can save tremendously by running the cable yourself!

Options in order of highest reliability and speed to lowest reliability and speed -
Wired Ethernet connection (ideal).
Wired ethernet/MoCA connection - Useful if you have COAX cable already installed.
Wifi connection with wired backhaul - essentially this will be an Access Point (AP).
Wifi connection with dedicated frequency as a backhaul (often triband wireless and "good" mesh systems).
Wifi connection on a so-so mesh connection. Mesh is the new marketing buzzword for all your WiFI needs (note the sarcasm!). Overall it is slower then a dedicated AP. Some mesh is less expensive and it is just a glorified repeater.
Repeaters and powerline battle it out for last place. Repeaters halve exactly whatever available signal they receive. Powerline uses your home power wiring in the wall to transmit data. Success depends on your RF environment/wall wiring.

An explanation on why repeaters are so bad (analogy) - Imagine having a conversation with another person that doesn't understand your language, you need a translator. You speak your sentence to the translator, they listen and speak that sentence in the language the other person understands, then you have to wait for them to speak and for the translation and on and on.... This kind of communication exactly halves the speed of your conversation. There are several other factors involved, but applied to WiFI, the repeater is the translator, it has to get the data from one device and translate and repeat it to the other device.

Some of the other factors;
You place a repeater where you get a crappy signal so your repeating a poor signal.

WiFi is a shared medium and has manners, it only EVER talks to ONE device at a time and it waits for one device to finish communicating before starting another conversation with another device. It does this very fast, so we "think" it can talk to many devices at once. The OP chose not only the slowest method to communicate (repeater) but the specs of that repeater are dinosaur old (300mbps). if your repeater is slow (like the one the OP is using), your entire WiFi system has to wait for the repeater to finish with each device. 2 cans and a string would work better (again note the sarcasm!). You really notice this slowing affect when you have many devices using your WiFi (even ones NOT connected thru the repeater), enough devices and your entire WiFi will slow to crawl. You really notice the slowness while video or music streaming cuz it stops periodically.

Additionally, that particular repeater device plugs into a wall outlet, which is likely physically low to the ground, most houses have furniture on the floor which helps to physically blocking the WiFi signal. A WIfi signal is dome shaped (really it's toroidal shaped, aka donut) and (another analogy) if you were trying to light up a room with one 100 watt light bulb, the best place to mount it is someplace high and in the middle of the room.

A few other things:
The "router" you get from your ISP is usually an All-In-One, that one box contains the modem, router, switch and WiFi, it is quite convenient and has a small footprint. However, the better solution is to purchase separates, then you get to pick the "best" device for your needs. The rub is you do end up with more "boxes" and to some that is unappealing, they also may not have the space to dedicate to those extra devices, but set up a proper ethernet cable infrastructure and your network equipment can be placed nearly anywhere.

You can also continue to rent (or lease) equipment from your ISP, however buying your own equipment usually pays for itself in maybe a year or so. You likely will purchase more reliable devices, (ie: something you don't have to reboot daily or weekly), I only need to reboot mine when there is a firmware upgrade and a reboot is necessary. Mine absolutely do not stop or become unusable for any other reason.

Don't believe the marketing BS numbers on the box of any WiFi router (1700, 1900, 3400, etc.) they are aggregating the individual link speeds of the 2 (or more) radios in that device. There are no WiFi devices available today that can talk those speeds. The Link speed is the theoretical connection rate of a device connection, absolutely no WiFi device can talk the link speed, even if it's 2 feet away. If you get 30-50% of the link speed then that is considered good.

This is the most generic and abbreviated response on home networking I could write (I might have gone a little "novel" on you!). If you have individual questions I strongly urge you to post them on the homenetworking subreddit (HomeNetworking, community based networking help), that subreddit is to home networking what this site is to pools.

Yev, You only affect 2.4 guest devices, so good for you! You had it planned right by segregating the guest network like you did. Not everyone does that!

Many of us have 2.4 devices (even new ones sometimes only support N - I'm looking at you Ecobee!), not that that is a big data user, but in my home some guests will/do stream and some only have 2.4 devices, so a repeater is not advisable.

Also, I just have to say it, my post above was never intended to diminish anything you've accomplished with your project, you obviously have thought out the WiFi repeater issue with something that works for you and you have a really innovative solution which I will probably copy later, (just not with the repeater device LOL!)...please keep updating this thread with any new changes - I am truly interested.

i am so getting this. i will be putting my order in first thing in the morning. this is right up my alley. i love all of this smart stuff. the only bad thing about this stuff is it makes me more lazy. i just sit around and tell Google to turn things on and off, or play something on the backyard stereo. just pure laziness.

Also, I just have to say it, my post above was never intended to diminish anything you've accomplished with your project, you obviously have thought out the WiFi repeater issue with something that works for you and you have a really innovative solution which I will probably copy later, (just not with the repeater device LOL!)...please keep updating this thread with any new changes - I am truly interested.

100% no offense taken. I just wanted to ackowledge that your concerns were completely valid and to let others know there is a solution.

I will explain why I had to use a repeater so everyone understands. The Tag manager does not work on wifi unfortunately, it requires a wired port. This is Issue #1.

For Issue #2, the ETM need to be located perhaps within 50 to 75 feet of the probe.

In my home, to satisfy Issue #2, there was no wired port close enough where I coudl satisfy Issue #1. So I had to use the repeater that I am using. I hope that makes sense. I will send pictures of the setup I am using and location of my equipment tomorrow.

OK, I wanted to add a few more pictures for anyone interested on how to do what I did. Hope these help

WHRM3eE.png

VBfu6wU.png

So my $8 thermometer is reading the same as this high tech one. So in the end , if you like tech stuff and you wanna see the temp on your phone before going in the water.....I guess it's good to have. It clearly reads what a cheaper version can read but of course those are hanging from a rope and you have to go and actually look at it. The range is great, I'm passing through 2 interior walls and 1 outside wall in a straight line and I have 4 bars on the Ethernet tag manager( ETM).
It's not overly expensive but isn't cheap either... it's nice that you can add more wireless tags to monitor other things on the same ETM. Some of the other tags are a little pricey, like the magnetic sensor. I hope they come out with more products as the line seems small.
I chose to buy the ETM as a full kit to save time. It's not worth the extra $6 because it's a 1ft Ethernet cord which unless you can place the ETM next to the router it's then useless. The power adapter is nothing special, standard item as well.
So I am enjoying it and I'm
Waiting to see if the app can be installed on 2 different phones for the same serial number ETM so my wife can also monitor the temp before she swims.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.