Intro/Outside Advice

Currently FC 13ppm, CC 0ppm. Adding 2 gallons.

FC 18.5ppm CC 0ppm after 15 minutes.

Each gallon of 10% is about 3.3 FC for you. If we factor no pool being calculated perfect, and ongoing water height fluctuations, you're 1/6 off with your additions and that's fair enough. Most of it is going to the battle.

Switch to 5ml test samples and each drop is 1 FC. There's some more test variance with a smaller sample, but you'll exhaust your supplies in 2 days the way you're going. It will be close enough while you need to test so frequently.

Reactions: mgtfp
FC 8.5ppm, CC 0.5ppm this morning. Added 2 gallons since that's all I had left.... It'll be slower today since I can't add/test again until I get home from work. Hopefully there's still some progress.

Last edited:
FC 7.5ppm CC 0ppm this morning. Adding 5 gallons since it's a touch cloudy.
No noticeable improvement in the clarity so far but will keep working
Keep going & Maintaining slam fc until
👇
✅ CC is 0.5 or lower;
✅ You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
✅ The water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

Also Be sure you’re doing all the things
👇👇👇👇
*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

You can try adding a little DE to your sand filter to help capture the finer particles but you need to be able to babysit it.
If you think your sand may be clumped up with magic potions 🧪 from the past you can do a deep clean of the sand - this is something that should be done every season or two anyway. It gives you a good opportunity to also verify that the sand level is correct.

I see you have a robot - if it has ultra fine filters or pleated filters be sure to use them & run the bot frequently along with your daily brushing.

Reactions: Newdude and mgtfp
Not doing the things listed above can really make the slam drag on.
While Chlorine is King 👑 in the process
all those other things are Queen 👸 and should not be overlooked.

Reactions: Oly and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Academy Awards Yes GIF by Shalita Grant

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude
FC 6.5ppm CC 0.5ppm. But added 3 more gallons after I pulled the water.
Also took the opportunity to double check pH and I'm at 7.2 so I'm right there.
I don't think anyone has mentioned.... Make sure to test pH only when FC is less than 10. The pH test isn't accurate for bigger FC values.

FC 7.5ppm, CC 1ppm this morning.
Going to add 4 more gallons. I'm approaching my fourth trip to Walmart and cresting 60 gallons of liquid used with little to no progress after 4 days. Still no green I can see, just cloudiness with visibility at 2-3 feet. Would have been cheaper to do a drain, scrub, refill, and restart at this point...

Keep going & Maintaining slam fc until
👇
✅ CC is 0.5 or lower;
✅ You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
✅ The water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

Also Be sure you’re doing all the things
👇👇👇👇
*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, abandoned lines, autofill, overflow drains, etc.)
*If water can go there, algae can thrive there.
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

You can try adding a little DE to your sand filter to help capture the finer particles but you need to be able to babysit it.
If you think your sand may be clumped up with magic potions 🧪 from the past you can do a deep clean of the sand - this is something that should be done every season or two anyway. It gives you a good opportunity to also verify that the sand level is correct.

I see you have a robot - if it has ultra fine filters or pleated filters be sure to use them & run the bot frequently along with your daily brushing.
I just have a regular vac, and it stays in there pretty much all the time. No water features, and filter pressure hasn't really come up at all since last backwash. Brushing when I can. So I think I'm doing all the things.

I don't think anyone has mentioned.... Make sure to test pH only when FC is less than 10. The pH test isn't accurate for bigger FC values.
I did learn that, and have been testing when appropriate. pH at 7.1 this morning.

Last edited:
FC 7.5ppm, CC 1ppm this morning.
Going to add 4 more gallons. Would have been cheaper to do a drain, scrub, refill, and restart at this point...
Is this a fact for your situation? I was surprised how little it cost me to drain and refill so many years ago now but I was up against the high CYA so not your situation. Do to the heat you also would have had to wait until fall so that would need to factored in. It is an option that should be seriously evaluated especially for owners with smaller polluted pools and inexpensive fill water.

Is this a fact for your situation? I was surprised how little it cost me to drain and refill so many years ago now but I was up against the high CYA so not your situation. Do to the heat you also would have had to wait until fall so that would need to factored in. It is an option that should be seriously evaluated especially for owners with smaller polluted pools and inexpensive fill water.
Upon further digging, it would cost me roughly $120 to drain/refill (just in cost of water). But you're right, it was 109 today....

Refresh my memory- what is your cya?
Did you try the de?
Or the deep clean of the sand?
Last I tested, CYA was at 50ppm.
Have not tried the DE/deep clean yet. Will have to wait until the weekend. Is there a place I can get a small amount that's not a 50lb box?

Upon further digging, it would cost me roughly $120 to drain/refill (just in cost of water). But you're right, it was 109 today....

Last I tested, CYA was at 50ppm.
Have not tried the DE/deep clean yet. Will have to wait until the weekend. Is there a place I can get a small amount that's not a 50lb box?
Its a 10# box 📦- a little pricey but likely a lifetime supply for your purposes
HTH Pool Care D.E. Filter Aid for Swimming Pools, 10lb
HTH Pool Care D.E. Filter Aid for Swimming Pools, 10lb - Walmart.com

You have no light niches, ladders, or drain covers? Overflow or autofill?
Your overnight loss is still quite high it makes me think it’s hiding somewhere.
How many doses are you getting in each day?

FC 19.5ppm before bed last night, CC 0ppm.
Added 2 gallons a couple hours ago. FC 16ppm now, CC 0ppm. Adding another 2 gallons before I leave again.

You have no light niches, ladders, or drain covers? Overflow or autofill?
Your overnight loss is still quite high it makes me think it’s hiding somewhere.
How many doses are you getting in each day?

No ladders, one drain in the deep end that I can't currently see, and two lights that I can barely see.
I'm able to dose 3 times a day during the week. Once in the morning I test/dose, I have my girlfriend add 2 gallons around noon, and then I test/dose again when I get home in the evening after the sun is down.

Nube question. Is it possible bromine was in any of the pool store products and could that cause the FC to drop quickly?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.