Sparkmaster

In The Industry
Aug 2, 2008
Conway SC
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I had a above ground pool from 2000 to 2014 and in-ground from 2014 to present and never had this problem before. I live here in SC near Myrtle Beach while the pool is closed for the season, I still maintain it by cleaning it and shocking it about once a month to keep it clean. Last week, I finally decided to open it up and it was slightly green (Hot weather, cold weather, rain, back to hot, back to cold and rain). I did the usual and shocked it with my last 2 packages of super shock from last season which brought it up to shock levels (BTW, I did make sure all my levels were good). Next day my FC was 0. So I opened up my brand new box of supershock from InTheSwim and added 2 packages and about an hour later my FC was at 1 so I added another 2 and also added Algaecide and finally my pool was super crystal clean but my FC was near 0 again.. I added 14 lbs total and never even got close to shock level. I used 2 different types of tests, 1 being strips and the other using the drops and both with the same results.

Do you think the Supershock is bad from InTheSwim? Like I said, Never had any issues like this in the past and had Solid green pool in the past also.

My levels this morning is

FC 1
PH 7.5
TA 80
TH 200
CYA 20

BTW, Im heading to Walmart or Lowes and picking up some of their shock just to see what happens.

Powdered chemicals like dichlor and cal-hypo rarely ever go bad and don’t really expire. If the packages were all sealed and there was no obvious signs of damage, they are fine.

You may have had ammonia in your pool from the natural degradation of CYA by bacteria. Since you keep the pool covered and closed that is highly likely. Ammonia and chlorine react quickly so much so that as soon as you add any chlorine it will gone within 10mins or so.

Reactions: FirstPoolLastPool
But you said it turned green, correct?
Water started turning green.. I was still able to see the vacuum head on the floor as I cleaned the bottom and than scrubbed the walls. After that I backwashed because my gauge was up then after I added supershock and also Algaecide which got my pool 75% clear in like a hour. Next day I added another 2lbs of shock because it was at 0 and it became crystal clear but my FC was again non existing.. So another 2lbs and another and another and finally I said flip it, not adding no more after 14lbs of shock total.. Right now it's hovering at 1 until I go to walmart or lowes and buy some of their shock just to see what happens. BTW, I backwashed also after I shocked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm confused.....you're testing with "guess strips"?? REALLY?

Have you never heard us preach about liquid chlorine being a better product to SLAM with?? In fact, its almost always the chemical of choice for most pool problems.

Maddie :flower:

Rapid conversion of CYA to ammonia can happen under the right circumstances. This thread is an example -

What algaecide did you use?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.