Intex ultra frame xtr 24' x 52" keeping it up year round in cold climates.

any recommendation for upgraded equipment? we haven't found much on it throughout our google searches. Yesterday we just added a skimmer and it helped immensely with cleaning this morning
Oops, just saw this, sorry! No, no suggestions, we opted for a regular above ground before I started researching options. Hopefully someone else here can suggest something?

Reactions: digidoggie18
We have the same pool and left it up last year (Seattle area)…I drained down below the returns removed all the hoses and stored those and the pump, swg, and solar cover/reel. Added a closing kit, two big air pillows and the intex cover with a pump to keep the water off. Was fine. The only thing I have different this year is the solar panel to store and blow out the pvc. But it’s workable. Our winters are not as severe here usually just lots of rain.

For me, It's less about the water being clean / crystal clear the next year but more about the Intex poles and frame rusting. I always take mine down, clean off any rust and spray paint each pole. The pool is used only about 3 months so there's no reason to keep it the remaining 9 months unused, letting it rust away. I also feel safer without the pool there over the winter and the kids playing outside. It is a huge pain in the @$$ to take it down and redo it each year though. Either way, these Intex type pools aren't made to last forever.

Thanks for that perspective too Lomag. It may just depend on how busy end of summer ends up being and if I find time to take it down before the first snowflakes hit here in MN! I'm impressed you go as far as checking for rust and spray painting each pole - hope that does buy you a year or two extra!
For me, It's less about the water being clean / crystal clear the next year but more about the Intex poles and frame rusting. I always take mine down, clean off any rust and spray paint each pole. The pool is used only about 3 months so there's no reason to keep it the remaining 9 months unused, letting it rust away. I also feel safer without the pool there over the winter and the kids playing outside. It is a huge pain in the @$$ to take it down and redo it each year though. Either way, these Intex type pools aren't made to last forever.

Oops, just saw this, sorry! No, no suggestions, we opted for a regular above ground before I started researching options. Hopefully someone else here can suggest something?
We've honestly been looking at a lot of hayward items. They seem to be of great quality and hold up a lot better. Unfortunately Looking at what I want for turnover rate means I'll probably have to ditch the standard intex tubing for possibly 2" piping. We have a feeling already that we need a much bigger filter and pump as stirring the water around usually worsens the pool vs manually vacuuming it to waste.

Thanks for that perspective too Lomag. It may just depend on how busy end of summer ends up being and if I find time to take it down before the first snowflakes hit here in MN! I'm impressed you go as far as checking for rust and spray painting each pole - hope that does buy you a year or two extra!
the first 2 years we had ours up we didn't see any rust really. Even when we we had to take it down due to collapse. The insides of the pools were coated extremely well.

We've honestly been looking at a lot of hayward items. They seem to be of great quality and hold up a lot better. Unfortunately Looking at what I want for turnover rate means I'll probably have to ditch the standard intex tubing for possibly 2" piping. We have a feeling already that we need a much bigger filter and pump as stirring the water around usually worsens the pool vs manually vacuuming it to waste.

I upgraded to a Hayward filtration system and 1.5" plumbing. One of the best upgrades ever... Next season is a Circupool SWG and redo a few pieces of hard pipe and eliminate the last of the hoses.

Attachments

• 20210529_192009.jpg
    20210529_192009.jpg
    684.3 KB · Views: 8
I upgraded to a Hayward filtration system and 1.5" plumbing. One of the best upgrades ever... Next season is a Circupool SWG and redo a few pieces of hard pipe and eliminate the last of the hoses.
Nice setup. I went with some hard plumbing as well and next-size sand filter - but still an Intex one :)

Curious - the adapters coming out of your Intex SWCG - are those cobbled together yourself to go from the intex 40mm to the standard 1.5"?

Random follow-up - do you find that the Intex automatic pool cleaner does a half-way decent job?
yes, we have the intex automatic. It does pretty dang good provided I keep up properly with cleaning. If I let it get overwhelmed then it doesn't do well but, it picks up all the stuff our manual vacuum will not i.e. the heavy particles of sand that the kids drag in here and there. But, I also try to brush every other day because we get tons of algae blooms if I do not. It's weird to me to get them though as we are mountain desert. and normally 90-100 or over from June to august.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I really like that!! How did you connect into the pool though? that's going to be my biggest problem I think as I will have to cut out the tubes they have for them because I have those little strainers that sit there.

For my return I installed a Hayward SP1023 by cutting the liner (there are tons of videos and posts about doing this) Then I used a Hayward SP1419E for my return. Currently my intakes are the Intex large pool strainer assembly w/blue strainer cover (again had to cut the liner) I am going to convert these to a Hayward SP1023 with a Hayward SP1026 (should have done it this way the first time). Everything then is an industry standard 1.5" and will easily mate to other make and models of filtration and SWG systems . Let me know if you would like me to take closer pictures and or explain the 1.5" to 40mm Intex adapters. Though I highly recommend if you going to make the jump to an industry standard you do everything at once and eliminate the Intex 40mm stuff.

In the Winter I will use the Hayward SP1022C to plug the holes allowing me to fully drain the lines. Also I have a "Clean Out" T connector to facilitate the draining of the lines.

For my return I installed a Hayward SP1023 by cutting the liner (there are tons of videos and posts about doing this) Then I used a Hayward SP1419E for my return. Currently my intakes are the Intex large pool strainer assembly w/blue strainer cover (again had to cut the liner) I am going to convert these to a Hayward SP1023 with a Hayward SP1026 (should have done it this way the first time). Everything then is an industry standard 1.5" and will easily mate to other make and models of filtration and SWG systems . Let me know if you would like me to take closer pictures and or explain the 1.5" to 40mm Intex adapters. Though I highly recommend if you going to make the jump to an industry standard you do everything at once and eliminate the Intex 40mm stuff.

In the Winter I will use the Hayward SP1022C to plug the holes allowing me to fully drain the lines. Also I have a "Clean Out" T connector to facilitate the draining of the lines.
well shoot, I have fittings research to do now haha. I didnt realize hayward sold the fittings too!! I would rather be on an industry standard for sure though! I have no problems cutting my liner as I've watched easily 50 videos where people do.

Reactions: CT-Steven
did you use schedule 40 pvc or schedule 80? I know 80 is more resistant to sunlight however, a lot more expensive

did you use schedule 40 pvc or schedule 80? I know 80 is more resistant to sunlight however, a lot more expensive

I used Schd 40 and I think the majority here do as well. Be careful tho as the big box stores sell DWV which is non-pressure rated PVC. You want Schd 40. If you look at my pictures I made that mistake :(

Do you keep the water level in the pool above the holes then?

I have not drained my pool for winter. Even when using the Intex fittings. I plugged the holes and disconnected everything and stored in in the garage. Now that I have an 18" filter prepping for winter will be a little different.

Last edited:
@CT-Steven - what are those magical connectors going from the Intex SWCG to your plumbing? Did you cobble those together yourself?
View attachment 355070

There are a lot of videos on how to do this. Look at
But instead of cutting a coupling in half I used reducer bushing as shown here: PVC Plumbing Intex Pool Sand Filter
I then used a 1.5" coupler and used an insert coupling: Apollo 1-1/2 in. Blue Twister Polypropylene Insert Coupling-ABTC112 - The Home Depot
to connect to the hose.

I will be ordering a new Circupool SWG for next year which has the industry standard 1.5" connection eliminating my Frankenstein creation.

Reactions: PieterS
@CT-Steven - what are those magical connectors going from the Intex SWCG to your plumbing? Did you cobble those together yourself?
View attachment 355070

I used Schd 40 and I think the majority here do as well. Be careful tho as the big box stores sell DWV which is non-pressure rated PVC. You want Schd 40. If you look at my pictures I made that mistake :(
Absolutely haha I know for sure I can't use DWV or anything cell core. I've done hvac for a living so I know just enough to be dangerous.. That was why I asked if you used 80 or 40. When I do mine I will go 40 then. I'll more than likely paint or add UV protectant though as our UV up here is extremely high all the time. heck even after our first year my intex plastic pieces started fading where the sun hits them constantly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.